OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bow recomendations

Started by chadly, September 10, 2015, 06:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadly

Shooting my bow last night I heard a very slight creek.  I looked the bow over and I did not see anything wrong.  I shot it again and the same thing happened.  I put it away for the night and when I pulled it out this morning this is what I found. 

The limb split.  I'm thankful this turned out the way it did but I'm not in a great position with season opening in 20 days.  I need a new bow and money is a decision factor in this purchase.  I looked at a hoyt charger today.  I liked the way it shot very much.  $599 for a full package ready to shoot.  Can anyone recommend a cheap bow for me.  A friend of mine bought a PSE (forget the model) two years ago for $400/package.  Iv'e shot the bow and even killed a deer with it.  Seemed like a good bow.  I wish I could buy the best bow out there but I'm in no position to purchase and the timing is not good. 

BABS9

Cant go wrong with the Hoyt Charger. I used to have a Rampage Xt and it was a great bow. Obviously a little older being the 2011 line but its in the same price point as the charger I believe. Since upgraded to a Carbon Spyder this past winter.

dejake

I bought a new bow 2 years ago.  I didn't want to spend a lot of money, because, frankly, most bows are better than I am.  I got a Bear Attitude, and am happy with it.  I'm getting older, so I got a 60 lb.  Good for deer and turkey.

THattaway

The first thing I'd do is send that picture to Browning. I'm thinking you would be getting replacement limbs or a new bow out of it.
And I'd also be after a new bow anyway. No way in the world I wouldn't be saying "But honey, the bow broke and deer season is just a week away....". I can just see me with a new Matthews right now. :)
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

USMC0331

2eagles

I had a splinter on a limb of my Hoyt Spyder the shop owner found when he was putting on a new string. Couldn't see it until he took off the Airshox. He took care of contacting Hoyt for me. Four new limbs - no charge. I'd say buy that Hoyt and see if you can get Browning to replace those limbs.

KYFrid

Another vote here for the Charger. I've been very happy with mine.

Onpoint

Quote from: chadly on September 10, 2015, 06:02:29 PM
Shooting my bow last night I heard a very slight creek.  I looked the bow over and I did not see anything wrong.  I shot it again and the same thing happened.  I put it away for the night and when I pulled it out this morning this is what I found. 

The limb split.  I'm thankful this turned out the way it did but I'm not in a great position with season opening in 20 days.  I need a new bow and money is a decision factor in this purchase.  I looked at a hoyt charger today.  I liked the way it shot very much.  $599 for a full package ready to shoot.  Can anyone recommend a cheap bow for me.  A friend of mine bought a PSE (forget the model) two years ago for $400/package.  Iv'e shot the bow and even killed a deer with it.  Seemed like a good bow.  I wish I could buy the best bow out there but I'm in no position to purchase and the timing is not good.
I'm loving my bowtech.

Quiet, fast, stupid accurate, and most tuneable cam system on the market.

Their carbon bows are around 550

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

fallhnt

Browning would repair this but you would have to wait on it. Buy used at a local shop to keep cost down. All manufacturers have limb issues. Good luck
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Muzzy61

Quote from: lmbhngr on September 10, 2015, 09:29:46 PM
Archery talk.com

Be warned, Not nearly as cordial and helpful bunch an the guys on old gobbler.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

chadly

Thanks guys.  I found out that Browning is out of business and PSE bought them out.  I'm going to try to get the bow fixed or at least review the warranty on it.  Either way I need a bow before season and time to get to know it.  My wife and I going to Bass Pro tonight to see what they have available.  I want to shoot a few different makes before making a decision.  My Browning was a lower end bow.  I paid around $350 bare bow in 1999ish and I loved it.  I killed my biggest deer to date with it.  Maybe a new bow will equal bigger deer.  I hope anyway.

Happy

I hope your theory on that holds true. Cause with well over $1,200 investep in my bowtech destroyer a 180" buck or better should be in my near future! Probably not tho. Bass pro has a lot of package deals so sure you can find something that fits you well. I believe even their own bows are made by bowtech. Diamond is bowtechs economy line and honestly I believe that you get the most bang for your buck with both theirs and mathews mission lineup. The bottom line is something that fits you well and you can shoot comfortably and accurately. The name on the limb isn't going to help you one bit. Good luck and if you spend a little more on this new bow you should be looking at a real nice wall hanger this fall!

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

chadly

Yes Bass Pro did have a bunch of package deals.  I shot PSE, Bear, and Blackout which is Bowtech made for Bass Pro.  I think I could be happy with all the bows.  I stacked arrows with every bow I shot (only 20 yd range).  I could feel the differences in how they shot and how some had better/smoother cam or let off.  Decisions like these can be tough when your in a hurry.  Going to sleep on it a few days.  The PSE is only $400 for package deal.  The Hoyt or Bowtech are $600 for a package.  Not that much more but defiantly smoother bows.  However the the PSE is the fastest of all bows.  One thing to consider as I age I want a bow that I can turn down at some point way far in the future.   :wave:
Thanks for all you inputs.

SinGin

I guess you didnt try the redneck fix, superglue and duct tape? Bows are like women, you have to handle a bunch of them and go with the one that feels best in your hands. The PSE bows from Bass Pro are very good bows. I bought one in 06 and still shoot it today. Browning was bought out by PSE and ar no longer being made and most bow companies warranties only cover the lifetime of the modle being manufactured. Sometimes companies will give you a credit towards one of their new bows though.