turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Remington versamax choke

Started by Remingtonguy, September 08, 2015, 05:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remingtonguy

I was just wondering which constriction you recommend for No. 5 shot out of a Remington versa max. And if it helps it has a 28 inch barrel.

allaboutshooting

I see it's your first post, so first of all, welcome to OG.

Many times it depends upon the brand of choke and the type of shotshells that you use but most of my readers have been very happy with either a .650 or .655 JEB's turkey choke in their Versa Max shotguns.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Remingtonguy

Thanks for the reply and welcome! Does JEB's make that huge of a difference over something like a Carlson's or Briley because JEB's are a little out of my budget. Also I would prefer a non-ported because of the noise and possible poi changes.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Remingtonguy on September 09, 2015, 04:56:00 PM
Thanks for the reply and welcome! Does JEB's make that huge of a difference over something like a Carlson's or Briley because JEB's are a little out of my budget. Also I would prefer a non-ported because of the noise and possible poi changes.

There are many good turkey chokes on the market today. If you're looking for a non-ported turkey choke, high quality but at a lesser price, I'd recommend you take a look at Trulock Precision Hunter chokes.

Thanks,
Clark

Remingtonguy

Thanks for the recommendation but I think I will go for the Carlson's .665 turkey choke first since I have had good results out of all of them I have had for other guns. I will try to post some pictures in the pattern pictures sub-forum once I try it out.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Remingtonguy on September 11, 2015, 06:00:09 PM
Thanks for the recommendation but I think I will go for the Carlson's .665 turkey choke first since I have had good results out of all of them I have had for other guns. I will try to post some pictures in the pattern pictures sub-forum once I try it out.

That's another good brand. I've shot lots of them and have several currently. It was one of the brands that I used in my recent evaluations of both WLB & Hevi-13 shells with 32 different chokes and 7 different guns.

Thanks,
Clark

forcercon1

William at Sumtoy makes a great choke for that gun

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I'm not familiar with the bore diameter of the Versa Max barrel. 

But .665 seems to be a good starting point for the .729/.730 RemChoke Barrels, as well as the .742 Inv+ Barrels; for #5 & #6 Lead, #6 & #7 Hevi13, & Magnum Blend.

Good Luck.

SumToy

That gun has .735 bore with a very long forcing cone.  I have found 660 to 665 works good in them.  Now have seen the factory choke scream with correct shells. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Remingtonguy

I have shot it around 70-80 times and most of the shots were low. Then I shot it 2 times on a steady rest from around 20 feet and both of those shots impacted close to 4 inches low. Do any of you know what could cause this. 

stewart

You're using a vent rib barrel and the VMax has a tapered rib - more than 5/16" wide at the rear to a bit less than 1/4" in the front. You can try to fit a Truglo but if you're otherwise on center except for being 4" low at 40, that's not much and I'd say you should just try looking over the rib a little more. Practice with trap loads at 15-20 yards so you don't break your shoulder. If you have a comb adjustable VMax, use a higher comb insert or if you don't and can't otherwise adjust your sighting naturally, try one of the stick-on hard foam comb pieces.

Being right or left of center is frankly more of a problem. I've used rifle sighted smoothbore deer barrels in the past and I've used the Truglo rib sights of various kinds but honestly I like to just sight down the rib with at most a hi-viz bead at the muzzle. Anyway, rising your sighting eye higher when sighting over the rib will raise the point of impact, just like raising a rear rifle sight.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: stewart on February 05, 2016, 03:03:26 PM
You're using a vent rib barrel I think and Rem's ribs often have irregularities. I have a Versamax sportsman with a crooked rib and I don't know of a truglo site made for the Versamax. It has a tapered rib; more than 5/16" at the rear and less in ther front. Anybody?

One of the "Universal" sights should work. You can see them here http://www.truglo.com/firearms/turkey.asp

Thanks,
Clark

owlhoot

There was some really good patterns posted last year with versa max gun.
Some had did really well with shells that normally don't pattern well.

Old Gobbler

I have a versamax with a 28

I have a sumtoy on my  versamax and shoot the federal hw #7 and anything that attempts to sneak in within 40 yards is a dead gobbler , I'll try and dig up a picture of the pattern
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

stewart

Yes a great pattern was posted last March with Longbeard #5s and a Trulock .660. The nominal bore size of the Versamax is .735.