OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Coles first gobbler  (Read 5642 times)

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
Coles first gobbler
« on: August 19, 2015, 05:49:11 PM »
Just wanted to share my son's first gobbler with you all.
He's been trying to get one for three years now. We have been close a few times but could never quite seal the deal. He has learned the hard way about moving at the wrong time and last year I wouldn't let him take the shot on two Jakes that were strutting and gobbling their brains out 30 yards away. He was using a 410 that year and it was just to far to risk. Anyways on youth morning we went down to where I had rooted two birds the night before. I had already picked the "killing spot" the night I roosted them. A blowdown on our left prevented the birds from seeing the source of calling until they were within 30 yards. Well before daylight as we were sitting down a truck hit the Jake brakes going down the mountain and both birds sounded off getting both of our pulses racing. The birds just kept hammering on their own so we were well entertained until the growing sunlight suggested that I might want to let the boy turkeys know that there was a girl turkey up the ridge from them looking for company. Two short and soft series of yelps brought immediate responses so I laid the slate down and gave it a few more minutes before a fly down cackle on the mouthcall. Both Tom's roared back and I laid the slate down and we waited. After about 15 minutes of dead silence Cole asked me "aren't you gonna call any more"? "Nope" I wipered. "They know we are here and if their gonna come then they will come". Not two minutes later he whispers "dad there's a bear coming". "You sure"? I asked. "Something big and black just moved on the other side of the blowdown he answered".  I gave it a few seconds and cut hard on the mouth call. Both Tom's roared back at about 70 yards and there was no doubt they were coming! I looked down and his eyes were wide and it sounded like he was having an asthema attack! I told him to get down on his gun and hold it at the decoy which I had placed to hopefully buy him a little time. It wasn't 10 seconds and here they came. The two Longboards and four hens I had no idea were with them. As soon as they saw the decoy they walked right up too it and started clucking at it. The gobblers just kept strutting and I had to wait for them to separate before nudging him with my elbow. This was are signal to get ready for the shot. I clicked on the mouth call and the birds raised their heads. The barrel was wobbling but the 20 roared and we had a gobbler doing the death dance at 23 yards. He wooped and jumped up as the Tom flopped into a small ditch. I told him to keep his gun ready and walk up and get him as I feel everyone needs to aproach their first bird on their own. He walked up and then looked back and said "he's still alive" and then promptly racked another she'll and gave him another! I'm 99% sure that what he saw was just the final twitches but at least he did shoot him in the head. When he got him back we layer him out and admired him. 19 pounds, 1" spurs and a 9.5 beard. We relived the hunt and then made our way back home to momma and breakfast. Sorry for the long post but it was a very special day for me. I never had a dad to do this with so I am really enjoying getting to do this stuff with my kids.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline cramerhunts

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Coles first gobbler
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 08:21:04 AM »
Great job on the recap! I was feeling the excitement as I read it. Congratulations to you both on a fine gobbler and thank you for sharing it. There is nothing better then hunting with your kids.

Offline Bennett

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 01:17:04 PM »
Congratulations on a great hunt and even greater memories. I have two sons and I look forward to sharing that moment with them.

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 07:38:45 PM »
Thanks fellows. Sorry for the horrible grammar. I know I'm from WV but it's not that bad! Kinda difficult to type and cook supper at the same time.

Offline mgm1955

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 12:40:01 AM »
Congrats to both of you!!! Awesome memories!!

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 06:32:17 AM »
Very Nice. Congrats to you both on a time afield that neither of you will ever forget.

Offline OldSchool

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 12:37:21 PM »
Great story and a beautiful bird. There isn't much I like to see more than kids that are into the outdoor sports. I hope he gets as much out of it as we have over the years. Please tell Cole I said congrats. Thanks.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 11:20:00 PM »
Will do. I got a little something for him waiting at the post office. Will post it on here when he gets it. He is really into turkeys now. In about another six weeks we will start scouting and getting ready for another wonderful spring.

Offline OldSchool

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 09:09:41 AM »
Cool. My biggest goal in life right now is to live long enough to call turkeys for my Grandsons during our youth season. Meanwhile, we'll keep practicing on the calls, scouting and shooting our BB guns. At turkey targets, of course. ;D 

Looking forward to your post.

Bob

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 10:19:53 AM »
Hope it all works out for you. My oldest has taken four deer now and of course his turkey. He told me turkey is his favorite by far though. I have a five year old waiting in the wings and begging to go. He is already shooting a .22.
My daughter has taken three deer with three shots but not to interested in turkeys since it involves getting up so early but at least she understands hunting and is enjoys it in her own way. I have learned with them that I have to slow down and not walk as far but seeing the joy on their faces when it all works out is priceless. I am looking forward to the day that I can stand on a ridge with my son's and listen to some Tom's greet the morning. I may be a little choked up with pride as I nod towards the birds and say go get em boys. And I just sit down and listen to it all unfold. They are the future and I want them to be able to do it right and do it well.

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 01:44:04 PM »
Here it is. Made by Jimmy Shaffer of oak ridge calls. Haven't made it home to here it yet but from all I have heard concerning his calls it should sound sweet. Jimmy was a great guy to deal with and no doubt I will be getting some more calls from him.

Offline OldSchool

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 05:47:04 PM »
Nice! I bet it sounds sweet, and I like the way he used the feather. I assume It's from cole's bird.

You're a lucky man to have kids that like the outdoors as much yours do. Lots of great memories there, and I hope you make a lot more.

Bob