turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best value in turkey calls

Started by packmule, July 27, 2015, 10:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

packmule

We all have calls that we love and some of them are so good we're willing to spend A LOT of money to buy one.  At the same time, there are some really good values out there for turkey hunters looking to acquire a great call at a reasonable price.  How about some replies with calls that you feel are great values in today's turkey call market.  I'll start....

Box calls, I can think of 2 right away:
Rohm Brothers walnut, poplar, and cherry--$24.95--this call has killed a lot of gobblers for me!
Spring Creek boxes--$35.00--I have a few of Mike's boxes and I'm going to keep buying them, they are killers.

Pot calls:
Lonnie Sneed hot hen or outlaw hen--$40 with cover--these calls get plenty of ink on here, no need to introduce them.
Enticer slate calls--$39.00--I killed 5 gobblers with the Appalachian Edge slate this year, deadly calls.
Blackstone glass call--$46.00--one of the best sounding calls I own, and $20-30 cheaper than other great sounding calls.

Strikers:
Enticer strikers--$6-7 apiece--the most consistent strikers I run and the $7 waterproof version is so versatile.
Beard Hunter--$10-12 apiece--my yellowheart and purpleheart strikers from Russell run great on all of my pot calls.

Great deals all!

REBELYELL

Unfortunately he does not ship calls, but Lonnie Mabry's calls are the best deals I have ran across. He makes all types of calls and all of them are full of turkey. He sells pot calls with two strikers for $25 and they sound better than most that cost three or four times more. His checkered short boxes are only $50 and they are killer too. If I lived close to him, I would have a room full of them.

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: REBELYELL on July 27, 2015, 11:46:33 PM
Unfortunately he does not ship calls, but Lonnie Mabry's calls are the best deals I have ran across. He makes all types of calls and all of them are full of turkey. He sells pot calls with two strikers for $25 and they sound better than most that cost three or four times more. His checkered short boxes are only $50 and they are killer too. If I lived close to him, I would have a room full of them.

No doubt about the Mabry Calls. His long boxes are $50 also. Imagine the waiting time if he shipped!  Best value going. A couple others are Mike Yingling pots and the new SS line of boxes at $45.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

davisd9

SS boxes are a steal across their whole line.

Mr. Sneed as mentioned sell some awesome calls at very affordable prices.

David Loftis sells some great calls. Some are lower priced than others but they are all well worth their value.

I have not tried one of Mr. Mabry's calls  but if I am ever close then I will certainly swing by and get one. Have only heard great things about them and did not realize their very economical value!
Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

KentuckyHeadhunter

Lonnie Mabry and SS for sure.  I'm sure there are plenty more. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

packmule

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on July 28, 2015, 05:33:12 AM
Quote from: REBELYELL on July 27, 2015, 11:46:33 PM
A couple others are Mike Yingling pots and the new SS line of boxes at $45.

Yingling and SS "cheap talk"...great additions!
I've never run a Mabry call but heard great things about them.

Buzzkiller

Lonnie Sneed calls and I have a cane creek
pro custom slate $35 that is a true killer.

I would love to get my hands on a Lonnie Mabry pot

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: Buzzkiller link=topic=57412.msg567256#msg567256 date=1438093455

I would love to get my hands on a Lonnie Mabry pot
/quote]

The Mabry slate in a chestnut pot that I recently purchased is the best slate I own. The cost, $25 with  2 strikers.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Muzzy61

For my money you cant beat:

Lonnie Sneed
Spring Creek
SS customs calls
Stone road calls
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

packmule

Anyone know why Lonnie Mabry doesn't ship his calls?

KentuckyHeadhunter

Lonnie wants turkey hunters to come into his shop and play all different calls until they find the one that produces the sound that THEY want.  He does not call himself a call maker but a turkey hunter who makes calls.  He is about as humble as it gets. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

packmule

TauntoHawk

SS box calls and scratch boxes are the best values in my vest, Hooks mouth calls are a great price too
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bowguy

Quote from: TauntoHawk on July 30, 2015, 03:24:41 PM
SS box calls and scratch boxes are the best values in my vest, Hooks mouth calls are a great price too
This is right on the money. I'll add some calls from MAC are very reasonable as well. Gotta cherry glass I love n it was priced very fairly.

jed clampett

Genes turkey calls...i have a purple heart glass and a cherry slate and they both sound great and they are really really reasonable