OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

peep rotation

Started by VAHUNTER, March 28, 2011, 06:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAHUNTER

i have been fighting with my peep since i set my bow up. i use a 3/16" meta peep and really like it. but i'm having a time getting it to stay lined up. this will be the 4th time that i have had to get my string twisted. my Inferno has a premium string.i guess it is still stretching. pain in the butt
Good things come to those who wait

PANYHunter

Mine meta twists too.  Its not completely turned and i can see through it still but it is kind of a pain.  Twisted it back once but it doesn't seem to want to stay there.  Still is better than having rubber tubing straighten it out. 

Garrett Trentham

Quote from: PANYHunter on March 28, 2011, 08:04:10 AM
Mine meta twists too.  Its not completely turned and i can see through it still but it is kind of a pain.  Twisted it back once but it doesn't seem to want to stay there.  Still is better than having rubber tubing straighten it out. 

Hane you had one with the rubber tubing to self right the peep? I had the same twisting problem with my peep so I took it to my archery shop. He told me how to twist the string to get it back. Said if I wanted it fixed for good I could get a Zebra counter twisted string that won't untwist as it stretches, but advised that I just wait until I need a new string to upgrade. Thought about getting the rubber tube due to the cost but heard it was a pain.
"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

keyser12ga

My meta is the same way

PANYHunter

Quote from: Garrett Trentham on March 28, 2011, 11:25:56 AM
Quote from: PANYHunter on March 28, 2011, 08:04:10 AM

Hane you had one with the rubber tubing to self right the peep? I had the same twisting problem with my peep so I took it to my archery shop. He told me how to twist the string to get it back. Said if I wanted it fixed for good I could get a Zebra counter twisted string that won't untwist as it stretches, but advised that I just wait until I need a new string to upgrade. Thought about getting the rubber tube due to the cost but heard it was a pain.

I never had the tubing on the meta peep just the other plastic ones.  Not sure how you would put tubing on a meta?   

VAHUNTER

Quote from: ksgobbler on March 28, 2011, 07:11:46 AM
Have you taken it to the pro shop.
i have taken it to the pro shop twice before for the same problem.
hopefully this will be the last time. my string should be broke in by now.
i can still see through the peep. but it throws me off 2" to the left . it is turned just enough that i can not line up my sight window

Muskie03

Sometimes just moving the serving that's on top or under the peep closer or farther away from the peep will help it come back straight.
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

GSLAM95

You can do what is referred to as a "string burn" which consist of putting a good coat of wax on the string, over twist your string 2-3 rotations,  while holding the string keeping it from untwisting) take a small piece of cardboard or leather and rub up and down the string in a rapid motion.

You do this just enough to warm the wax up good and the fibers of the string.  You do not want to do it for very long as it can actually overheat the string fibers and damage the string.  If done correctly though it will heat the fibers just enough to change the memory of the string.
Immediately after rubbing let the string untwist and see where it stops.  If it stops untwisting where you want it leave it for a few minutes before shooting to let it settle in.  If it needs a little more for proper alignment at full draw you may need to repeat.

Another way is to simply install something like x-factor string leeches as they are very durable and you can slide them up and down without the bow being in a press.  Putting one in the top and bottom of the string will allow you to simply slide them and make the peep rotate a little at a time until you get it just right.

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

VAHUNTER

i have a custom string on order. the guy that builds them guaranties that his strings will not stretch or twist. we will see

ryersonhill

If your peep rotates from left to right, press the bow and twist the string a ½ twist in the same direction. Now shoot the bow several times to settle the peep. If it still does not roll into the proper position, repeat the process. Always shoot the bow several times to settle the peep before checking for position.

Or if that doesn't work

Relax the string again. Look carefully at the direction of the string twist. For example, if the normal twist of the string is clockwise, and your peep must move to the left a ¼ of a turn, take two strands from the top left side and flip them to the bottom right side. Then take two strands (make
sure they aren't the same two strands) from the bottom right side and flip them to the top left side. This will pull the peep over to the direction you want.

If you want to move it the other way, just do the same steps in the opposite direction. Note: more strands will mean more movement.

Shoot the bow to re-settle the string and repeat as necessary...

This for me is the easiest and most stable

Owner-Paramadness Bow Slings
Bowslings-Survival Bracelets-Binocular Slings
Custom Braiding Available-Online Store Available
Pending Maine State Record Eastern Turkey - Archery

VAHUNTER

problem has been solved. i put a custom string on. i have put several hundred shots on it and so far it has not moved

buck_hunter21

I good quality custom string will take care of the peep rotation. But if your not wanting a new string there is a simple fix. Instead of putting the bow in the press and putting twist on the string or taking twist out of the string, twist the d-loop (if you shoot with one). You will have to mess with the d-loop a little bit to try and figure out where it needs to be so your peep rotates correctly, but it will work.

But putting a good quality string is the easiest thing to do so you don't have to worry about messing with it in the future. There are so many guys out there making fantastic custom strings now-a-days.
Spill Blood