turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Long-term storage corrosion protection

Started by allaboutshooting, July 16, 2015, 08:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allaboutshooting

I'm sure you have some guns that see more "safe time" than range time. If you're like me, you've tried several methods of preventing rust and corrosion while they are in storage. Here's one that you might find interesting http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=780

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Tail Feathers

Thanks for the article.  I think I'll try some of that.  I have a couple of old guns that don't see the light of day very often but I can't make myself sell them.  This may help keep 'em safe.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

natman

There are lots of good rust preventatives; EEZOX, Breakfree Collector, LPS3. Always room for one more. I've had excellent results with Breakfree Collector used in combination with Polygun bags. I stored a bunch of guns for five years with that combo without at trace of rust anywhere.

http://www.polygunbag.com/gunbags.html

mgm1955

allaboutshooting

You all are welcome. I'm glad you found the article interesting. Hopper Spit seems to hold up very well. It is important to make sure the article treated is warm and then to let it cure. I've been very pleased to see how it works on my 870 that gets a lot of use at still target shoots. I took it to Georgetown, SC last weekend. It was  102 on Friday afternoon, in the 90s on Saturday and humidity was in the 90% range both days of the shoot. I sweated all over that gun but did not have any rust. It's really not made for that but it was good to see that it held up.

The really important part is the cure. It takes a little time for that to happen but after it does. It works very well.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."