OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

#2 Acrylic glass call ( sound file added)

Started by callmakerman, July 13, 2015, 09:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

callmakerman

Turned this one late Saturday night and like the first it was a challenge. This stuff is just mean when turning at least for me. I'll be work at it for a bit then go to wipe the ribbons of plastic off my arms and hands to find that I'm bleeding from the shards that pop off the blank. I love the results though. The clear call is my first one and the black is glass call #2. I couldn't find any 1" thick black so this is a glue up. This one is more of a middle of the road medium pitch with a butt load of rasp. Once again I tried sound cloud for a sound file and it wont work for me. Thanx for the look. 

pappy

I have been turning acrylic for years, it is a pain, one thing I have done is to set a blower behind me at one side, turn it on when you turn as the air will blow the strings away from you before they reach your body. Another thing I do is polish my chisels, this will lessen the "grabbing" of the acrylic which in turn causes the chips to fly and you are exactly right when saying you will bleed....as they are essentially chards of sharp edged weapons coming at you at 1200 rpm's which means they are traveling around 60 miles per hour. I can also sympathize with you on the sound bite thing, I just cannot for the life of me get one .... my cell phone is a dinosaur, and I don't have a mike for the computer, but like you, I know what sound I have coming from my pots, and these are the sounds that work. Great job on these two, looking for more in the future...pappy 
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Matt k

gatrkyhntr70

<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

drenalinld

I heard this baby and it is REALLY, REALLY good!!

sbbow

Those really good !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunter22

I heard this one also and I agree with David, she sounds really, really good. Black Death II

callmakerman

Thanx for the kind words guys. I've run this with a dymondwood and a snakewood striker and really like the sound. I really like the acrylic pots even if they are a pain to turn. I only wish I could post a sound file and really have no idea why it wont let me do it. I used sound cloud for the first one and it hasn't worked since. If you want me to send you a sound file PM me your email addy and I can send one to you.

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

scoot12

cool looking calls Bill.  Scoot

Crawdad

Bill, those are cool buddy, I wish I had the nerve to try Acrylic.

silverspur

Nice job on those calls Bill!
Longbeards / Sharp Spurs

callmakerman

Quote from: outdoors on July 13, 2015, 09:28:07 PM
DID U TRY YouTube
[/quote  No I didn't and I'm not really sure how I would do it. Robert with the work you did on the brass and the aluminum trumpets the acrylic probably wouldn't give you any trouble. Thanx again.

Chamberlin Calls

I've never turned an acrylic  pot but I've turned a ton of duck calls, my favorite tool for turning acrylic is by far the Skewchigouge;

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/140474/crown-skewchigouge.aspx

Just be sure and keep it sharp.

callmakerman

Quote from: Chamberlin Calls on July 15, 2015, 01:30:03 PM
I've never turned an acrylic  pot but I've turned a ton of duck calls, my favorite tool for turning acrylic is by far the Skewchigouge;

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/140474/crown-skewchigouge.aspx

Just be sure and keep it sharp.
Thank you I may need to try one. I'm turning now with carbide bits but still have a tough go of it at times. I tried turning a striker and gave up at least for now. :z-dizzy: