turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Free recoil calculation

Started by howl, June 30, 2015, 01:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

howl

I would like to calculate the free recoil energy of various loads in my seven pound gun. Trouble is, I don't know the charge weights. Any ideas on getting close on 1 5/8oz going 1300fps or 2oz going 1100fps?

Clif Owen

You probably don't WANT the answers you will get.

dejake

BandedSpur

30 grains will be close enough for your purposes. You didn't say what shot material. Charge could be anywhere from 27-40+ grains depending on shot material and powder speed.Don't forget to include the weight of the wad and buffer if there is any when it asks for payload.

howl

Yep, the powder, wad and buffer are the variable I can't tack down. What I did to get an approximate idea was look up similar loads on hodgdon and, as suggested, looked at with numbers in the area of 30 grains.

There's not much difference in the recoil, really. The 1 5/8oz going faster seems like it might be a little less, but being snappier, it's probably a wash. Velocity makes my head hurt.

And, yes, we probably don't want to know how much these things kick. I was once asked as part of a job interview if I thought I could handle a .375 H&H. I guess it was pertinent because I am from SC and the job was in AK. Anyhow, I just chuckled and said, "We use bigger shells than that to shoot turkeys where I come from." Got a funny look.