OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Saw some poults today...

Started by Tail Feathers, June 28, 2015, 10:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tail Feathers

We've had a very wet spring here, lots of flooding.  Over 15" of rain in May alone and that, I feared, wasn't good for the hatch this year.
I went four wheeling at the lease today with some friends and saw five hens, two of which poults with them.  One poult was substantially larger than the others, and he got separated from mom.  We stopped to look and wound up between him and the rest of the birds.  He was as big as a large chicken and tried to fly over us.  He flew up and tried to land in a small pine but it bent.  He kept flapping his wings and kind of crash landed down thru some small pines.  It was funny to see and obviously he wasn't hurt as he disappeared as soon as he got back on the ground.
I rode up on one hen who appeared to be sitting on a nest.  I saw her pop up and run but I never saw a nest...but I didn't want to walk over and risk ruining one for good so I didn't go look real close.  It would be very late for a nest, but if she had one or two flooded out it's possible I guess.
It's good to see some poults anyhow.
Two gobblers, five hens (only two of which had poults) and six poults seen today...not a bad summer day in the woods.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

mgm1955

nativeks

I've yet to see any poults which bothers me some but with the flooding I expected it. Did see a bird strutting yesterday.

zelmo1

I left my cameras out and have seen very few poults. I fear that next year will be the tough one due to our cold winter and deep snow. Time will tell. Good luck to all. Al Baker

Jimspur