OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Fighting purr

Started by BigHooks, March 27, 2011, 08:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigHooks

What do you'all think about using the fighting purr. I haven't in a while, that was at one time a hot call. Anybody still use it.

furtracker

Have tried it several times but never had any luck.  I have heard several that have though.

TrackeySauresRex

I was calling for my son who was 10 at the time, when he shot his first Tom. I had the birds goin good, but then they decided to walk off a good ways in another direction. Then I gave it to them a simulated fighting purr with a diaphragm and a slate. They gobbled back several times and I didn't answer them. I shut it down and we sat in stealth mode. Then they gobbled right on top of us a good 20 minutes later. To this day the best hunt I ever had. 
;D   
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Bustabeak

Just yesterday here in Georgia my cousin and I shot two jakes. I shot the first one and the second one ran. I did a fighting purr with my mouth call and he sprinted back to the dead bird and my cousin shot him.  Honestly it was the first time I've ever tried it and I don't know how well it works on dominate birds but worked on the Jake...

TRKYHTR

Killed a turkey with it last year. I look at it like another tool in the arsenal.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Duke0002

Usually use it when nothing else seems to work.  Called in one last year that I passed on with a combo of mouth call cutting and 2 strikers (loud purring) on a slate.  Really woke up that bird and got him gobbling.  Not a cure-all, but as Joe said, its another tool to try.

Kylongspur88

I've had better luck with it in the early youth season. I use a mouth call and push box to do it.

siyakadog

I like to use it when the bird hangs up, if he's hot but won't leave his hens then a fighting purr sends them a runnin!  Ive had them so wound up they blow right by us and had to shoot them in the back of the head

open door

I need to learn how to make this sound. I'm still new to this game, stupid question but can you make this sound on a slate/aluminum call, or do you have to buy a special call? I like to explore all possibilities with these hard to get birds.

Also, will ya'll please tell me the right situation to use a "jake gobble" call? My son had one & loaned it to me & I don't have a clue as to when I should use it. Thanks.

hookedspur

Quote from: Duke0002 on March 28, 2011, 11:15:50 AM
Usually use it when nothing else seems to work.  Called in one last year that I passed on with a combo of mouth call cutting and 2 strikers (loud purring) on a slate.  Really woke up that bird and got him gobbling.  Not a cure-all, but as Joe said, its another tool to try.
:agreed: 100 % It hasd worked for me .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions