OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How to use scratch box

Started by Onpoint, June 27, 2015, 06:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onpoint

Just got my first scratch box..i can get some turkey sounds out of it about 4 different ways. There's gotta be a "right" way of doing it though. 

West Augusta

Like using a trumpet.  It takes lot's of practice. 
Russell Beard made a good YouTube video on how to use one. 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

West Augusta

No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

kyturkeyhunter4

Several good videos on youtube on how to use one.

Onpoint

Quote from: West Augusta on June 27, 2015, 07:11:01 PM
Like using a trumpet.  It takes lot's of practice. 
Russell Beard made a good YouTube video on how to use one.
It's safe to say I suck with a scratch box

hunter22

Start out just learning to cluck. Then go to yelps. Then purrs. Then cutts. Don't try and see how loud you can run one but instead how soft can you play it. Like some guys on here have said, lots of good YouTube videos out there. David Young (drenalinld on here) is about as good as I have heard in person. He has a demo under the soundfiles somewhere. I do know that gobblers sure respond well to them, especially the older birds. I have killed two the past two years running one. 

guesswho

Quote from: Onpoint on June 27, 2015, 07:32:30 PM
That's good.  I've learned its best to not set the bar to high the first day. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

mgm1955

Be patient, watch some videos, practice. It will definitely be worth it. A scratchbox is what a lot of old time turkey hunters used exclusively and killed turkeys when there weren't many to kill.

Bowguy

I don't get it? I didn't find scratch boxes even remotely difficult. In fact no one I've shown has a single issue w running one. I'm new to it this year but called a bunch of birds w em.
Watched a you tube where the fellow put the striker loosly in his left hand between thumb and ring or middle finger. Used his pointer finger as a "hinge" like on a regular box call.
Started out that way n found instant sucess.
Don't still run em that way but it def got me on right path.

Onpoint

Quote from: guesswho on June 27, 2015, 08:57:05 PM
Gettin better.

Bowguy

Can't find that video for ya but it made things super easy. If I do find it I'll pass it along

guesswho

Quote from: Onpoint on June 28, 2015, 08:58:11 PM
Quote from: guesswho on June 27, 2015, 08:57:05 PM
Gettin better.
Good. See there.  If you start out good it makes it harder to get better.  The key is to try and suck a little less each day. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

drenalinld

Here is a a couple clips I made trying to show how I run them. Not the best calling here but focused on videoing the technique I use. Not a right or wrong way just how I do it.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php?topic=51182

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Bowguy on June 27, 2015, 09:37:01 PM
I don't get it? I didn't find scratch boxes even remotely difficult. In fact no one I've shown has a single issue w running one. I'm new to it this year but called a bunch of birds w em.
Watched a you tube where the fellow put the striker loosly in his left hand between thumb and ring or middle finger. Used his pointer finger as a "hinge" like on a regular box call.
Started out that way n found instant sucess.
Don't still run em that way but it def got me on right path.

I took to them right away too, just felt natrual to run and really liked them in the woods this past year.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

callmakerman

Love hunting with a scratch box and carry three with me on every hunt. Learn to run one, it's well worth the time.