OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Project time! 870 Transformation...

Started by Borden811, June 25, 2015, 02:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borden811

Well, here we go with the off season OCD. I have no need for a new turkey gun, but wanted one with a short barrel, shorter than the 26" inch barrel on my SBE II that I currently use. So, when I ran across a stupid good deal on this 21" barreled 870, I didn't pass it up. I had plans for it from the very beginning. Pistol grip stock, camo paint job on the plastic, complete breakdown and cleaning, dura coat the metal, etc. then on to load testing. Planning on using the longbeard 4s if I can get them to pattern. If not, I'll defer to hevi 13 7s or magnum blend. Anywhay, here are a few pics. I'll update as I move through the process, but here's where I am currently.

When I got her home...

Complete tear down and cleaning...

Rattle can camo on the Blackhawk stock...

That's all for now, planning on doing the dura coat tomorrow if I have time. Stay tuned....

gatrkyhntr70

<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

Longshanks

That guns in good shape. Cool looking paint job on the stocks. Finish product should be nice. What color Duracoat on the metal?

Borden811

It was in good shape. Horribly dirty when I got it though, looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years. I gave it one heck of a good cleaning. It has a couple small marks where it tried to rust, but just dis colored it a little, and a couple small scratches. Looks like it was carried a lot, and shot a little. I'm sticking with flat black for the metal. The metal now haps ant almost "steel" looking sheen to it. I'm hoping to make it a deep flat black when finished. I was going to go with flat dark earth, but decided if I ever decide to sell it, black, with the original stocks would be an easier sell.

jepcho

Looks awesome man. Another Remington guy here. Makes me wanna go get an 870 to turn into a turkey gun.

Borden811

Got the duracoat sprayed on yesterday, should have it back together and some pics up by tomorrow evening. It's looking pretty sweet, I actually impressed myself with how well the duracoat turned out for it being my first time using it.

Borden811

Well, aside from adding some type of sights, getting a choke or 17, and doing some patterning, she's finished as far as the cosmetics are concerned. I'm happy with how it turned out, it looks factory new to me. Here are a couple pics of her :)

Longshanks

Nice gun. That's the type of set up I like to hunt with the majority of the time. These guns were running 220+ with 3" LB 6's this past season. Changed the chokes and went back to Hevi 13. Have some patterning to do yet. Post some results when you start patterning. Great turkey gun.

Borden811

I came across a good deal on some 3" longbeard 4s, and walked away with a case plus a few boxes. I'm hoping to hit 125 or better with them at 40 yards. I know it's doable, I just don't know how much it will cost me. I currently have a Comp N Choke .655 and Remington straight rifled turkey super full to try with them.

Onpoint

Quote from: Borden811 on June 28, 2015, 08:22:57 PM
I came across a good deal on some 3" longbeard 4s, and walked away with a case plus a few boxes. I'm hoping to hit 125 or better with them at 40 yards. I know it's doable, I just don't know how much it will cost me. I currently have a Comp N Choke .655 and Remington straight rifled turkey super full to try with them.
I get great patterns with the 4's out of a rhino and a sumtoy

My jebs prefers the 6's

longislandloco

Nice job on the refinish, happy shootin'.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe

gatrkyhntr70

<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

owlhoot