turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Question for Oklahoma hunters

Started by jepcho, June 16, 2015, 08:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jepcho

I got pretty lucky this last week at work.  I got one of my good friends from work into turkey hunting this year.  He happened to bring up that he had family that were big whitetail hunters in Oklahoma.  After a little coercing I got him to ask them about turkey hunting for next spring.  Turns out they dont turkey hunt their land but have a lot of birds and invited us down to hunt.  :happy0064: :z-guntootsmiley: I am super excited. This land is in the southwest corner of the state, somewhere around 50 to 75 miles from the Texas border.  My question is, for those that have experience hunting Oklahoma, when is the best time to go?  Is the hunting generally better early in the season or would the second week still be good?  I ask this because I plan to hunt Kansas again this year and would like to do them both in one week.  I most likely wont be hunting Kansas till the second weekend though, so if I were to hunt the second weekend of Oklahoma into the beginning of the third week, the timing would be perfect for going right to Kansas.. Or should I just do it in 2 separate trips in order to hit the first part of the Oklahoma season? 

I guess this is a good problem to have.  :toothy9: Any help would be great.

Thanks!

Tail Feathers

Second week should be better, especially if they aren't hunted the first week. You will love those loud mouthed Rios.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Gooserbat

Private land birds, I would pick between April 20-30.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

jepcho

Thanks for the input!  I think I got my week of vacation for that trip figured out then for next spring.  I am really excited for this place in Oklahoma.  It has always been one of the states I most wanted to hunt and I finally am going to get the opportunity.

Tail Feathers

You'll love hunting them.  Don't mess with the roost, you never want to booger one because they have so few trees they may leave the property if the roost is really disturbed.

They gobble a lot.  I LOVE hunting them.  They will take a lot of calling, and I do enjoy calling 'em. :z-twocents:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!