News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Short or long box for a gift

Started by Muzzy61, June 16, 2015, 11:17:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muzzy61

Need some opinions .

I want to get a premium box call for someone as a gift. Think I've decided to get one from SS Custom Calls.

It's for someone that is letting me come up to KY and deer hunt this year. I know that he is a big time turkey hunter and thought a premium personalized call would be a good way to say thanks.

Not sure If i should go with a short or long box, what do you think?
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

davisd9

Either will work great.  I use a short box.  Just easier to carry and fits well in most every vest.  With a long box you usually need a holster.  Do not think you can go wrong either way, but if I had to choose for most turkey hunters I would go with a short box.  Love my SS box.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Spring Creek Calls

I would send him a short box. He'll love both but odds are much greater that he'll use the shorty.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Moore

short box- ss calls make great calls I love their brick checkering
[

TauntoHawk

SS short box can't have to many of those.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

KentuckyHeadhunter

Devil's advocate here.....if he already turkey hunts a lot he may have personal calls he already uses.  And a longbox would make a nice gift or collectible item.  And it can still hunt.  If it's for the mantle as a sentimental gift I would go long.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Muzzy61

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on June 16, 2015, 04:54:26 PM
Devil's advocate here.....if he already turkey hunts a lot he may have personal calls he already uses.  And a longbox would make a nice gift or collectible item.  And it can still hunt.  If it's for the mantle as a sentimental gift I would go long.
Yea,  that's what got me thinking about a long box.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

mgm1955

First of all, an SS box would be great no matter which size you choose. Personally I would go with a longbox. IMO more versatility, a box that can do anything from kee kee to gobble and everything in between.

Bowguy

:emoticon-cartoon-012:
I agree w kentuckyheadhunter, if the guy hunts he almost certainly has a box but maybe not a long box. Be cool to give him a call he doesn't already have, but the short boxes getting more field use thing since they're smaller is prob right as well.
SS make some awesome calls

TauntoHawk

Maybe a short box/scratch box set? Those SS scratchers are deadly and not a lot of people are running now them in the woods
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>