OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

If you had to recommend one really good DIY hunt for next spring......

Started by LI Outdoorsman, June 03, 2015, 07:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LI Outdoorsman

Please let me know your thoughts...Any recent experiences would be appreciated..
Thanks

Fullfan

I would look into Tn, I have been hunting Mo for the past 25 years as a nonresident. Hunted Tn last spring. Tn is what Mo was 20 years ago. Nothing to see or hear 15-18 birds a day. I hunted in Wilson County.

Hope this gives you an idea.
Don't gobble at me...

LI Outdoorsman

Its a start..thanks..it should fit into my game plan for next spring.Might hit it on the way back up from florida.

762hunter

Dang I live in W Tenn and have been wanting to go to Mo because of all the birds I hear about there.
Never heard of anyone from Mo leaving to come to TN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roost 1

:whip2:
Quote from: Fullfan on June 03, 2015, 07:33:05 PM
I would look into Tn, I have been hunting Mo for the past 25 years as a nonresident. Hunted Tn last spring. Tn is what Mo was 20 years ago. Nothing to see or hear 15-18 birds a day. I hunted in Wilson County.

I have hunted Wilson Co the last several years and can assure you what you experienced is not the norm..... TN's population is in a decline much like MO was several yrs ago..

LI Outdoorsman

Roost 1

Quote from: LI Outdoorsman on June 04, 2015, 09:02:22 PM
hhmmmm....confused now...

Not saying TN can't be good but I wouldn't expect to hear 15-20 birds per day... I hunted 5 counties in TN this season and prolly didn't hear 20 birds total..

762hunter

I'm with Roost1 on that, I only hunted 4 counties in Tn though.

I'm really thinking I'd like to make a trip to Kansas, hear the numbers are much greater there 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hook hanger

Quote from: Fullfan on June 03, 2015, 07:33:05 PM

You must have been in a poor spot because I still hear and see 20 plus toms a day.

Hook hanger

MO and KS are easy places for a DIY hunt plenty of public ground

crappieangler

I have had positive experiences in NE, KS, and WY.  I didn't get the normal experience/hunt you would expect in SD, but had a positive experience in the Black Hills. I know they do well out in the prairie, too. Plus you can get multiple tags there. I love hunting out in West. Those mountain/pinewood ponderosa birds are as beautiful as they are fun to pursue.

I love hunting in KS as well, but it seems to be getting more and more pressure in my experience. The best place we have to hunt is supposed to getting leased up by some out of state outfitter, if that goes through we most likely will be in search of new territory.

LI Outdoorsman

My plan next spring is to start in florida.Havent hunted there in a few years but my Dad got a new place in Sumpter co. which should hold some good birds after the research I've done about the area.I'm driving down from NY. On the way back i want to try a good public land hunt where I can hike in with my son and camp and hunt.I have a place in Alabama I can hit and wanted to add maybe one more state. Tennessee is one state we always said we wanted to try.I know about the western states and will get back out there one day ( I have a grand slam & a world slam) . I always wanted to do a DIY black hills hike in hunt and that is definitely going to happen one day.I like to add a new state every year now if I can.At this point I'm looking at states that I can hit in the eastern corridor on my path between NY and Fl.. I'm not hung up on species anymore just like to chase gobbling birds!

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

davisd9

Florida public land was a blast!

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

turkeyfoot

SC is on your way back from Fla and plenty of public ground with birds  if your interested PM me I can point you in right direction