OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

If you had to recommend one really good DIY hunt for next spring......

Started by LI Outdoorsman, June 03, 2015, 07:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roost 1

Quote from: Hook hanger on June 05, 2015, 11:27:48 PM
Quote from: Fullfan on June 03, 2015, 07:33:05 PM
I would look into Tn, I have been hunting Mo for the past 25 years as a nonresident. Hunted Tn last spring. Tn is what Mo was 20 years ago. Nothing to see or hear 15-18 birds a day. I hunted in Wilson County.

Hope this gives you an idea.

You must have been in a poor spot because I still hear and see 20 plus toms a day.

Yeah, I must be.. Would you like to invite me down your way for a hunt?

Fieldturkey

The internet is a killer of public land honey holes. If you feel the need to respond to this it should be in a PM. For the sake of the local hunters...

born2hunt

Quote from: Fieldturkey on June 07, 2015, 11:16:24 AM
The internet is a killer of public land honey holes. If you feel the need to respond to this it should be in a PM. For the sake of the local hunters...
Well said. :thanks:
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

TauntoHawk

I was just thinking about this the other day be it deer, turkey, or elk you always seem to hear about the "its good, but not like it used to be" or "used to not see anyone but now its flooded with non residents" and I think thats all the internet leading people to the remote states and places now that you can read about pin point and mark out anywhere in the country from a computer.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: TauntoHawk on June 08, 2015, 08:20:17 AM

I was just thinking about this the other day be it deer, turkey, or elk you always seem to hear about the "its good, but not like it used to be" or "used to not see anyone but now its flooded with non residents" and I think thats all the internet leading people to the remote states and places now that you can read about pin point and mark out anywhere in the country from a computer.
That's why most of us keep our mouth shut about where we hunt...

theghost_03

The Black Hills hunt is a hunt every turkey hunter has to experience once in the lifetime.  It can be very difficult but after doing it several years with success, I have learned a lot about the area and the birds.  If you ever head out this way give me a shout and I can point you in some directions!  Either way, any day out chasing these birds is a blessing!
"In the spring we STRUT, and in the fall we RUT"
GOBBLER DOWN CUSTOM CALLS

LI Outdoorsman

Sorry guys didnt mean to start a riot here over pet spots. I promise I wont show up anywhere with the yankee hordes..Any further info should be sent in a pm and i really appreciate all the help.I should have known better I guess..All the good public land in NY is published in the Syllabus or found on the DEC website. Its all common knowledge with listings of locations and bird harvest numbers.. its up to you to find the birds.
Thanks again
Rob

cwb04

K9Doc

Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

Rick Howard

Who you callin a horde! Lol! 

NY public land has 0 turkey.  Z.E.R.O.   :wave:

Fieldturkey

Just to be clear I think it's great that we can all network here and help each other. It's all the other bozos that scout these forums that I am afraid of.  PMs just seem like the safest way to protect what we have all worked so hard to find. Take care and I hope you find what you need

duxrus

Tennessee , especially middle Tennessee has a ton of birds but there is very little public ground and what there is will be covered in non-stop calling maroons for atleast the first three weeks of season. This year the gobbling was down but it stayed  cloudy and rainy for the majority of the time. Turkey populations are still good in most areas except extreme southern middle Tn and along the Mississippi river. Everyone I know that knows what they are doing ran out of tags way before season ended. Things were running about two weeks behind normal so many people gave up before the birds got user friendly. Afternoons were lethal this year where as most only try mornings and give up. IMO unless you get an invite to private land in TN I wouldn't waste my time.

We used to hunt MO a lot with all the public acreage and birds with great success but now head west to play with rios and merriams. Enough easterns die at home every season so we now opt for the pretty fans attached to birds wearing track shoes. 

mudhen

Mississippi...gosh knows with as many MS plates I see in other states, there can't be many of them at home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

SKFOOTER

Quote from: Fullfan on June 03, 2015, 07:33:05 PM
I would look into Tn, I have been hunting Mo for the past 25 years as a nonresident. Hunted Tn last spring. Tn is what Mo was 20 years ago. Nothing to see or hear 15-18 birds a day. I hunted in Wilson County.

Hope this gives you an idea.
Maybe in Middle or East Tennessee but no longer will you hear birds gobble like that in West Tennessee. :OGturkeyhead:

bowmike

If you want a challenge try Pennsylvania on opening day. You can expect hunters cutting you off, people setting up within 60 yards of you, people shooting the birds you are on off the roost, and even getting shot at. LOL public land in PA is pretty tough.

I learned this year that any bird you locate that is close to any easily accessable listening spot should not even be attempted. I would take you out to experience this if you would like. I am in SWPA.