OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best one sider

Started by Onpoint, May 20, 2015, 07:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onpoint

I have an albert paul henry davis edition that sounds amazing. I "had" a halloran polar/macasser box that sounded really good too and I played this call better than I do my paul box.

I think that I just do better with a heavier lid.

I have a ss one sider that sounds good. It's got a good High rasp but I'm looking for something not so high on the back. It's maple/poplar.

I do really like the one sided boxes and wandered who the best 1 side makers are and also makers that make the cost style with a heavier lid

scoot12

I love my Dave Tyree one sider and Jerry Zebro makes an awesome one as well.  Scoot

Britton40

Steve Mann started making them last year. I have a walnut mahogany.

KYTURKEY

There are several good makers. Jeff McKamey, and Frank Kruer both make great one siders. But, for my money it's Tony Quarino, Sportsmans Variety Game Calls.  His Ebony over Holly is exactly what you are describing you are wanting. He won nationals a few years ago with that exact combo. I have one in that combo and love it. Give me a yell if you want his contact info.

Patrick

hunter22

I have not seen him around in a while but Tim Clayton of Clayton Custom Calls makes the best one-sider I have played. Tim is also a custom furniture maker and I think his work has kept him from making turkey calls like he did at one time. I know he won the DD Adams award a few years ago with a killer glass call.

Will

I have 2 Marlin Watkins one siders. Ipe over Persimmon and blood wood over Crab Apple. Both sound awesome from purrs to yelps..

mgm1955

Pick a Kreuer, McKamey, Watkins, or Clayton you won't go wrong. Kreuer has been cleaning up in custom callmaking competitions the last two years with his one sider. Just got two from Clayton and they are fantastic calls. Snakewood/persimmon from McKamey or Watkins would be hard to beat.

silverspur

I would add Basehore,Lapp, Terefencko and Strawser to the list of callmakers that make good one siders
Longbeards / Sharp Spurs

hunter22

Like Bob and Mike have said, lots of great callmakers out there that make mighty fine one siders. I guess another one sider that has proven itself over time is the Lynch Foolproof.  I have attached a soundfile for one of mine that Tim Clayton made me. I am left-handed so my one siders are backwards for most folks.

https://soundcloud.com/hunter22-2/clayton-sinker-cypress

yelpaholic

The lynch  foolproof deluxe eastern is a custom quality box

va longbeard

Quote from: hunter22 on May 21, 2015, 06:52:28 PM
I have not seen him around in a while but Tim Clayton of Clayton Custom Calls makes the best one-sider I have played. Tim is also a custom furniture maker and I think his work has kept him from making turkey calls like he did at one time. I know he won the DD Adams award a few years ago with a killer glass call.

Got to agree with that one! I have four one siders from Tim he is one heck of a callmaker.

Onpoint

Quote from: Britton40 on May 20, 2015, 09:37:43 PM
Steve Mann started making them last year. I have a walnut mahogany.

I'd love to hear a soundfile of this call.

I'm on steves waiting list.

I think I'm going to order one from tim clayton pretty soon

I ordered a short box from irving Whitt

outdoors

HOW CAN I GET INTOUCH WITH Tim Clayton , THANKS
I HAVE ONE AND THATS A CODY'S , OLD GROWTH PINE REAL NICE BUT ALL THE YOUNG BIRDS
COME IN TO THIS CALL ....
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

hunter22

Here is a pic of my one-siders Tim made me. I would hunt any of them. Top to bottom: Persimmon/Red Cedar, Sapelle/Spanish Cedar, Chery/sinker Cypress. His phone # is 352-457-6651.

letinmfly

Timbo's Sinker Cypress one siders are awesome!!  I have one with a Walnut lid.  :icon_thumright:
Captain of the former Gobble Kings