turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Does 2 inches really make a difference?

Started by deerbasshunter3, May 19, 2015, 12:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

Before I start, I could probably guess just about every joke anybody could possibly make about the thread topic. That being said, feel free to do so, I could always use a good laugh...

Anywho, I have been researching waterproof snake boots, and the ones I think that I have settled on are the Lacrosse Alpha Mudlite snake boots. One of the biggest selling points, aside from it being a rubber snake boot, is that it has an 18" height as compared to most snake boots which seem to be 15" or 16".

My question is, is 2" or 3" in height really going to make that much of a difference when it comes to snake protection, or is it just a matter of chance?

Getdrove101

I'll have to ask the wife lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kjnengr

Most snakes strike about ankle high.  I would think it would be rare for a snake to strike at the top of the boot.  If you get those Lacrosse mud lites, let me know how you like them.  I have been looking at them myself.

Roost 1

The copperhead that struck at me hit me about the calf.....My boots paid for themselves that evening.

strutnrut

I would think that you have to remember that a snake depending on terrain is striking upwards. Better safe than sorry. I got a dry bite from a Cottonmouth once but I was in a rice field. I had rolled down my hip boot and was hit right above the boot. Hurt like hell. They die on sight nowadays.

outdoors

> YES < MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE
ONE TIME I CAME ACROSS A RATTLESNAKE CURLED UP IN THE SUN
I PICKED UP ABOUT A 2 ft. BRANCH AND STARTED TOO POCK AT IT AND
ALL OF A SUDDEN IT STRIKE AT ME AND  ALMOST , ALMOST GOT MY HAND
I LEARNED MY LESSON REAL QUICK ........
THE MOST @ BEST PROTECTION U CAN'T GET.  :icon_thumright:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Tail Feathers

If you hunt rattlesnake country, they can grow long and strike pretty high.  A couple of extra inches of height can be a difference maker.
As long as it doesn't get into the bend of your knee, you won't notice much difference.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

neal

Not only more snake protection it's a couple extra inches of water protection when crossing creeks and rivers. Makes sense to have more than not enough protection.

Neal
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

101st501

Tail Feathers

Oh yeh...I once went to a nudist wedding and missed being best man by 2". :TooFunny:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

jepcho

Quote from: neal on May 19, 2015, 11:27:23 AM
Not only more snake protection it's a couple extra inches of water protection when crossing creeks and rivers. Makes sense to have more than not enough protection.

Neal
This

kyturkeyhunter4

I would diffently go with the highest I could get, especially if I'm hunting in snake country.

Spitten and drummen

I wear snake boots but they are not the end all to snake bites. they are definitely good insurance. I got bit on my thigh by a cotton mouth while turkey hunting 25 years ago. in the long run more is better imo.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

tomstopper

More is better for boots for all the reasons mentioned above. Keep in mind that snakes can strike half of their body length (according to a Nat Geo show that I seen before) so that means a big snake could also strike higher I would think. I wouldn't risk something like this so going higher with boot protection seems the logical thing to do IMO.

born2hunt

Those are top notch boots, I've worn them for several years of hard tromping through Florida swamps and scrub and love them. If you are a short legged feller they may be a problem but for the average guy they're  great. And not to mention the only 100% water proof snake boot I have had. They're a little stiff at first but one scouting season to break them and your good to go.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."