turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Afternoon hunting tips

Started by troutfisher13111, May 18, 2015, 05:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutfisher13111

I will be hunting PA for a couple days later this week for the first time. Right now you can hunt all day there, this will be a first for me. Anyone have any tips for all day hunting? How do the birds react to afternoon calling? Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clif Owen

They're still turkeys. Some will work, some won't.

My second bird this year, I walked into my area and sat down at 5:15 pm. I lit the thermacell and that's when I checked the time. A bird gobbled about 200 yards off on my first calling sequence. On my next one, I heard a hen between him and me. She RAN in to where I was yelping and cutting up a storm. He followed her soon after. Anyway, he got into range and I shot him. I got up, walked to him and picked him up. After I set him down where I was sitting and started gathering my stuff, I checked the time again...5:30. Got to love those quickies!!!

Cutt

I'm not one to hunt them late in the evening at roost areas, but love hunting the time frame from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm. I feel up to 2:00 or so with afternoon hunting allowed is a great time to strike up willing birds. May have to do a lot of leg work but can pay off at times. Recently got a bird gobbling good around 1:30, but not a favorable outcome, but very exciting hunt, after a very quiet morning.

Dtrkyman

Different situation but last couple weeks in Nebraska the best hunting was between 1 and 6pm.  I think with all the hens out there it took that long to finally find a bird or 2 alone, if you got close you could call them in virtually instantly!

In the east I would rely on scouting and finding there preferred areas where they typically loaf, when its hot they will be in the shade an not very active! creek bottoms would be a great place to look!

Greg Massey

I'm not what you call a afternoon hunting most of the time I stop hunting by 3:00 clock..ive kill a lot of turkeys from 10 :00 till 3:00 clock in the afternoon.. Ive had a lot of gobblers circle back to me after the hens have left them..I always pack me a lunch etc...every day I turkey hunt... I have one of those small camo coolers ...I almost never leave the woods unless ive killed one before 3 .... patiences is the name of the game and don't think because that turkey didn't come to you early that morning that he want come back after the hens leave him...the best i can tell you for afternoon hunting again is Patiences... 2 year olds most of the time will come back gobbling and most of the time 3 year old or older will come in Silent ...