Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Just bought a 835 with a factory ported barrel which choke ported on non

Started by bigcountry25, May 16, 2015, 08:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigcountry25

Just bought a new Mossberg 835 24" barrel that has factory ported barrel.

My question is should I use a non ported choke tube since the barrel is already ported or does it not matter if the choke is ported or not?

Also what's a good choice for a turkey to start out with patterning the gun? I like to shoot either hevi-shot #6 or  magnum blend.

Thanks folks!!!

Greg Massey

I'm not sure what's right or wrong.  Ive got a turkey edition moss. 500 ported with a 24 in. Barrel and I shot a non- ported choke.. but I don't like ported tubes... I shot non-ported tubes on all my guns.  If I were you I would shot a non- ported with a ported barrel.

Greg Massey

If this helps it came from the factory with a non- ported choke.

matchbook454

I still shoot a ported choke in my ported 835 barrel.  Some debate how much port in really affects turkey loads and patterns.  Porting will not hurt your patterns but might not make much if any improvement.

trkehunr93

My 835 has a ported barrel and a ported choke and kills turkeys just fine.

Tennessee Lead

Quote from: trkehunr93 on May 16, 2015, 09:05:00 PM
My 835 has a ported barrel and a ported choke and kills turkeys just fine.
X2

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker

jim570

Bought an 835 Ulti-Mag about 3 years ago.  It has a ported barrel and I have a Pure Gold .670 choke.  Using Hevi #7 3 1/2".  It has put 340 in a 10" circle at 40 yards.  I have a Burris FF III on it.  It kicks like a mule.

kyturkeyhunter4

My 835 has the ported barrel and I use a ported choke also and mine shoots fine.

bigcountry25

So it really doesn't make much of a different with a ported or non ported choke.

What do you think would be a good choice for first choke tube to start the patterning.

I hear Carlson .675" ported or non, Indian Creek .675", Pure gold .670" and the Primos Jelly Head Max. .690". 

I will be starting out shooting either 3.5" hevi shot #6's or 3.5" Mag. Blend.

Those are the choke tubes I have read people are having alot of success with.

Could you point me in the right direction to start the patterning process. Everyone I know either shoots a Moss. 500 or Remington 870 so I don't have anyone to share in the cost of patterning my gun.

kdsberman

Ported choke. Ask my dead tom how it worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

I had a 835 one time and I agree it kick like a mule also..traded it off... guys ive don't a lot of turkey hunting and for the difference I would take my 3 in. 12ga. Any day... never saw many turkeys I couldn't kill with a 3 in. Shell

Ericbrooks

Don't over think it. Get an extra full choke and hunt. You can only kill them so dead

allaboutshooting

Quote from: bigcountry25 on May 17, 2015, 01:50:31 AM
So it really doesn't make much of a different with a ported or non ported choke.

What do you think would be a good choice for first choke tube to start the patterning.

I hear Carlson .675" ported or non, Indian Creek .675", Pure gold .670" and the Primos Jelly Head Max. .690". 

Could you point me in the right direction to start the patterning process. Everyone I know either shoots a Moss. 500 or Remington 870 so I don't have anyone to share in the cost of patterning my gun.

The SSX and the Hevi-13 chokes are excellent products and pattern very well in 835s.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

kyturkeyhunter4

Quote from: bigcountry25 on May 17, 2015, 01:50:31 AM

I've got the pure gold in my 835 it patterns really well with it.