OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Beards

Started by Buzzkiller, May 15, 2015, 10:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzzkiller

What can you put on beards to save them?
I noticed that my others from past seasons
are falling apart

Oconeeguy

borax will preserve it forever.

kyturkeyhunter4

Borax will take care of it for you.

taylorjones20

When you remove a beard from a turkey you don't have to cut any meat off with it.  All you have to do it grab it at the base and twist. It will not hurt anything but it will come off easy without any meat attached.
Alive only by the Grace Of God

darn2ten

As others have said, borax works well. I've also done many with salt and had had no problems.

WV TURKEY THUG

i used salt one time on a beard 3 yrs later i notice a few stands of the beard on the floor from time to time. i use borax. almost the best stuff ever found. all beards treated with borax are doing great. also borax is one heck of a weed killer. if u got nosy neighbors sprinkle some in there yard. and wait for the results haha jk

Gooserbat

I pull mine let me hem dry a couple months and dip the base in epoxy.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Bennett

I have a couple in salt now. Would it help to put Borax on them after I dry them in salt? Also would it be worthwhile to put Borax on my older ones?  The oldest one is 5 years.

mozart_hunter

I have never dipped mine in anything. I leave just a little bit of meat on them and let them dry. I have beards 17 years old and they still look in great shape.

Spring Creek Calls

Any that are not displayed  I dip the meat end in borax and store in a cedar box.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Clif Owen

I just restarted turkey hunting about 4 years ago and so far, I haven't killed enough for any to NOT be on display!

West Augusta

I Borax mine as well and then when dry I put a couple of drops of CA on the dried end.

Get Borax at the grocery store in the laundry detergent aisle.  Get a box of 20 Mule Team Borax.
A box will last a lifetime.  It won't go bad unless you use it to wash your camo.
Your grandmother probably used it all the time. 

No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

davisd9

Just started redoing my beards to better keep track of them. I put the meat end in borax for a week or so, then I have been taking a piece of 12 ga brass and hot gluing them into the brass. Then I write the number of the bird on the brass as it corresponds with my journal. Been a fun project but got a few to go! ;)

Three I worked on tonight:

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Snoodsniper

I grab below the beard and pull up toward the head. Just a quick yank and it will come off clean. Then hot glue in the brass of the shell it was killed with like davisd9. I punch the primer out first then add a loop of boot lace through the hole. Hang it on a beard board and it's done. Never had one fall apart and no need to treat with borax/salt because there's no meat to worry about.

howl

Trouble is getting the beard in that 20ga shell...