OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Got burned by an outfitter in Texas

Started by BBD, May 15, 2015, 10:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBD

Sadly this was not the first time. Three seasons ago I got burned by an outfitter in south Texas but that's a whole another story. This year since January a hunting buddy of mine has been texting an outfitter in NW Texas and he has done nothing but speak of the "tons of toms" that they have.  Just this past wee he said that due to weather conditions recently that no hunters had been able to hunt the areas but there was still "tons of turkeys."  He said they had multiple corn feeders and cameras running 24/7 365.  We make the drive 11 hrs out there Tuesday to discover that we didn't have access to the 4000 acres "because of the weather conditions" so he put us on 800 acres that had a "high concentration" of turkeys.  Not sure how they measure acreage in Texas but if they measure it like he was it's no wonder they say everything is bigger.  It wasn't even a whole section so it couldn't have been more than 400, it was more like 250.  I personally walked by 4 feeders (only ones I found) and all 4 were empty and had grass growing under them. Not to mention there was no cameras anywhere to be found.  It appeared that no one had been on the place all spring.   My suggestion to anyone looking to book a hunt with an outfitter is to call and ask for references. They make you sign a waiver before you go on their property so they have contact info for everyone who has hunted there.  Just learn from my mistakes and be careful of what you are getting into. 

TauntoHawk

see or hear any birds? I hear so many horror stories that I don't know if I'll ever attempt an outfitted hunt due to risk of being burnt
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

kyturkeyhunter4

That's why I don't fool with the outfitters, I rather hunt on WMA or just get out and talk to the farmers and see if I can get permission that way. I like to find them my self,instead of relaying for some one else to find them for me.

stinkpickle

Quote from: kyturkeyhunter4 on May 15, 2015, 01:17:18 PM
That's why I don't fool with the outfitters, I rather hunt on WMA or just get out and talk to the farmers and see if I can get permission that way. I like to find them my self,instead of relaying for some one else to find them for me.

That's the problem with Texas.

ridgerunner

Why not name the Outfitter so none of the rest of us get burned? If i got burned I guarantee his name would be all over this forum.

FL-Boss

+1 ...post the name. After that a simple web search will revel the truth when someone researches him online. 

n2deer

Usually any good outfitter would offer to make it right. They need returning customers.

BBD

Simple web search of L&W Ranches will pull it up....it clearly says on their site though they are about hunting, not killing. You go there you will sure be doing a lot more hunting than killing!!  Guy with me saw a hen on the adjoining property.  The time that I was hunting it was perfect conditions and did not hear or see anything.  I walked a drainage area that had been flooded, would have been easy to see tracks and I looked under the few roost trees that were on the property. No sign of a turkey.  I hunted an area not to far away from here for several years. I knew what to look for but it wasn't there.    Their website also shows that they off hog hunts. I can't speak for all their area because we were only allowed to hunt this one small place but there was not sign of hogs other than a few traps.  Like I said, they have had quite a bit of rain and tracks would have been easy to see. 

fountain2

that sucks to hear.  I had the same sort of experience in Kansas last spring and got cancelled on this spring by the same outfit. 

cramerhunts

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, that sucks big time and is one of my greatest fears now that the daughter and I are starting to hunt out of state.

I've only used one outfitter so far as I've always done DIY hunts but that outfitter happens to be in TX and one of the best guys I've come to know. If you're interested in his info shoot me a PM. He books up fast but well worth it.

Phil

Dr Juice

Sorry to see that you had such a bad experience. I was burned once by an outfitter in FL while seeking my last bird for the slam. The outfitter was horrible, broken every promise to me and my buds, and all he cared about was his $$. If you wanted an additional bird (commitment) or go pig hunting, he wanted $$ up front. His guiding skills and outfit sucked to say the very least. Hang in there, you're not alone!

hunter22

We got burned in Texas a couple years ago also. Our "outfitter" disappeared the second day and would not answer his cell phone. Best we could tell he did not have much land to hunt and what he had was way overhunted. One of the guys with me did kill a gobbler though. We hunted a total of 1 1/2 days. Fortunately we had only paid him for one day each before he disappeared. Bad thing is that I got his name from a member on here who highly recommended the guy. So my advise is to request references and ask to see their website. About all reputable outfitters have a website to view. The guy we hunted with did not.