OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Anyone heard from Jim

Started by BOFF, March 27, 2011, 01:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOFF

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 24, 2011, 09:22:13 AM
Well, fellers,....I'll be gettin' on the ol' jet airplane tomorrow morning bright and early to head to Georgia with my son.  We will be hunting with Mr. Parks from over on The Widowmakers.  This is our first hunt of the year....and our first trip to GA. 

We get back from there next Tuesday, and a week later will be headed to southwestern OK for some serious Rio huntin'. 

April 15th is the start of our own NM season, where we will be concentrating on thinnin' out our Merriams herd a bit. 

It's finally here for us!!

Best of luck to all of you that are also out hunting while we am gone! 

Jim

Anyone heard from Jim.

Hope all is well, and the birds are willing.

God Bless,
David B.

anthonyjhallen

I got a text from his son that he (Jims son Ryan) had killed a bird that had a 10 inch beard and 1.5ish spurs.

So they are on the birds......

BOFF

Quote from: anthonyjhallen on March 27, 2011, 05:15:00 PM
I got a text from his son that he (Jims son Ryan) had killed a bird that had a 10 inch beard and 1.5ish spurs.

So they are on the birds......

Good to read!!

Thanks for the update!!

God Bless,
David B.

WillowRidgeCalls

I think Jim got 1 also, Bobby had some pics of him and Jim holding birds, but I'm not sure if those were the two Bobby got or if they each got some?
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

BOFF

Quote from: WillowRidgeCalls on March 29, 2011, 09:13:59 PM
I think Jim got 1 also, Bobby had some pics of him and Jim holding birds, but I'm not sure if those were the two Bobby got or if they each got some?

Do tell. I hope Jim's holding out on us!!  :fud:

God Bless,
David B.

GobbleNut

Just got back late yesterday and hadn't had a chance to report for duty! 

We had a great hunt in Georgia and several of us did manage to tag gobblers.  I'm sorry to report that I did not get the boss bird that I was hoping for, but I did manage to bag a smallish two-year-old,....the smallest of the five gobblers taken by our group.  Bobby Parks (Widowmakers) took a hoss of a gobbler and my son took a really good bird, as well.  Of course, that doesn't do the Crusaders much good! 

Below are a couple of pictures of my bird, taken right after the kill....and about five minutes before it rained like crazy and soaked us both.  I was hurrying to get a couple of photos before the deluge,...and just barely got it done.  I probably will not submit this bird for the contest...unless I fail miserably in Oklahoma next week or here in New Mexico the following week.  I will get the pictures and stats posted if it turns out we need him,....but I can't imagine we will.

BOFF

Nothing wrong with that bird there!!

It's all about the hunt and what goes along with it!!

Congrats!!

I really like the first pic!!

God Bless,
David B.

Boparks

What a pleasure it was to hunt with Jim.....even if he is a Crusader :icon_thumright:

The man is  a serious predator when it comes to turkeys.....his ability to assess and adapt was displayed here....the weather was not good and the  birds were not easy.......Jim stuck with a "hunt all day/ can't kill em if your not in the woods" program and shot his bird a time of day that most would have been back in camp.....his gift of woodsman ship and hunters instinct was very impressive and the way he put him self in position and stuck out a long day was impressive as well

I honestly was just plain  lucky to have ended up with what I did

anthonyjhallen

Way to go Jim,  I am glad yall had a good time. 

Ryan was finally able to kill an eastern huh. 

GobbleNut

Reporting in quickly...
First, my apologies for not being here more.  Been gone for a good portion of the last month hunting,....and when I have been back at home, have had little time to do anything other than get caught up with work and/or get ready for the next hunt. ....Tough row to hoe, but somebody has got to do it!   ;D

I hope everybody is doing well and has got to do some serious gobbler chasing.  I have hunted a bunch,...but succeeded little.  I have managed to put a tag on three gobblers this spring,...one each of the Eastern, Rio Grande, and Merriams variety.  I have about another ten days to hunt before our NM season ends....and I hope to put a tag on a bird that will help us out in the contest.  Right now, my biggest will score in the mid-50's, and to be honest, that ain't gonna cut it in helping us be near the top in the contest.  I hope other teammates have fared better with higher-scoring gobblers.

I very likely could have helped us out with a great bird that I let get away in Oklahoma.  He was probably a mid-sixties gobbler, but I somehow managed to blow it and let him get away unscathed.  Sometimes I think I am getting worse at this game rather than better after all these years of doing it!

At any rate, I just wanted to check in and say "hi" and "good luck" to all of you who are still hunting.  In about another week or two, I should be able to get back here more often and return to being a regular participant.

Until then, all of you take care and be safe!!  Go get'em!

Jim

hookedspur

Quote from: BOFF on March 30, 2011, 06:20:48 PM
Nothing wrong with that bird there!!

It's all about the hunt and what goes along with it!!

Congrats!!

I really like the first pic!!

God Bless,
David B.

:agreed: :thanks: :toothy12:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions