Previous topic - Next topic

WHAT SHOULD I DO!?

call then shut up?
2 (100%)
gobble at him?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

younggun08

I've been hunting public land in South Central PA, and yesterday and this morning I've been frustrated by the same bird...

Yesterday morning, I heard him gobble, on his own, far down the mountain from me at about 9:45am. I called once and got an immediate response. I immediately set up, and no sooner than I did, did I hear him gobble again on his own, but much closer! I heard him, or a hen, cluck 3 times at about 150 yrds. I then did some relatively aggressive cuts into yelps, and got good response gobbles. He wasn't getting any closer, but seemed to be hot considering he closed distance pretty quickly and was talking to me. For about the next hour and a half, he remained at the same spot (about 150 yrds out) and would gobble on his own every 5 minutes or so, not being too responsive to my calling... for a while I shut up, thinking he's probably been called to a lot, and hoping curiosity would get the best of him. I waited and waited hoping if he had hens, they would leave him and he would work his way up to me. I eventually got impatient and started calling again maybe every 15 minutes... but nothing, he just wouldn't leave that spot.

This morning, I slept in a little late and got back to his area around 8am, and I heard him gobbling, in the same area, and again on his own. This time, I tried setting up, then walking in the opposite direction of him, and directed my call away from him, then quick ran back towards him to where I initially set up. I was hoping this tactic would make him think I was farther from him than I was, and if he did hang up from where I called, hopefully he'd be in range of where I set up. Long story short, he did the same thing but this time didn't come closer, gobbled a whole bunch, but stayed put for over an hour. I gobbled at him once, but had no effect. Tomorrow, my plan is to get right in that area before light and hope he comes my way or I convince him in before his hens do.

So, turkey hunting veterans, how would you handle this, what seems to be, old and educated bird? Should I give him some soft yelps and shut up? Wait him out all morning and hope his hens leave him? shoot him out of the roost (Just kidding)? .... any and all advice/criticism is welcome!

Thanks, guys!

KYFrid

Sounds like he is at his strut zone and is calling for you to come join him.. If I were you I would be in his strut zone next time I'm out waiting for him.. You probably won't even have to say a word. maybe scratch in the leaves some.. He will know where you are and will come right in.. Good luck!

Red Huck

How about go in early and set up where he's hanging out. Wait for him to gobble, answer once and wait him out.

Greybeard11

I agree. Setup where he is hanging out and don't call much. Scratch leaves , maybe purr a little.
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway."  -John Wayne

Triple Gobble

Agree that it sounds like he is in his strut zone, also
He has probably been hunted before, if it
Were me I would get to that area way before
Daylight, then give a soft tree yelp, then do nothing
But scratch in leafs.  Maybe a purr, but no
More yelping, and wait for him to get there.
Live your life through Jesus, and life begins!!!!

born2hunt

As said already, get there early but I would do nothing but  occasional soft clucks and purs and keep your yelps to your self . That is unless you hear the hens, then just say what they say, quick and responsively cutting them off on every call. I worked a hard headed bird several times this year before one of his hens got mad at me and led him to his death.
Good luck.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Bowguy

All good advice now go kill em

silvestris

Get his attention, then shut up.  One morning, he will come.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

yelpaholic

get as close as possible to him on roost, cluck softly twice , take your wing out and fly down without yelping, scratch In leaves,  knock your safety off... :OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead: