OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Longbeard xr ammo

Started by PASTRUTTER21, May 05, 2015, 07:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PASTRUTTER21

Recently called three longbeards in to 25 yards in PA and all three xr shells failed in my mossberg 835... Came home shot a winchester double x and a xr shell from a brand new box and both fired fine. Anyone else get bad box of shells? If so have to c if we have same lot #

Buzzkiller

I have used them for 2 seasons now without any problems.
they pattern great in my Rem.870 and Browning Gold

Vaturkeyhntr

They have been flawless out of my 835 the past 2 seasons.

kyturkeyhunter4

I Have shot them the last two years and had no problems with them. The first year I shot them out of my 835 and this year I shot them out of my Stoeger M3500 shoots awesome with no problems at all.

10gaugemag

Quote from: PASTRUTTER21 on May 05, 2015, 07:58:34 PM
Recently called three longbeards in to 25 yards in PA and all three xr shells failed in my mossberg 835... Came home shot a winchester double x and a xr shell from a brand new box and both fired fine. Anyone else get bad box of shells? If so have to c if we have same lot #
Define "failed".

Mike Honcho

No problem last two years in 835,935,3500,Ithaca turkeyslayer

Mike Honcho

Was it a misfire, light primer strike, what happened?

Check to make sure your barrel nut is very,very tight.

stinkpickle

Quote from: 10gaugemag on May 05, 2015, 09:24:18 PM
Quote from: PASTRUTTER21 on May 05, 2015, 07:58:34 PM
Define "failed".

I'm curious, too.

PASTRUTTER21

Failed as in hit all three primers and nothing but next two shells out of brand new box fired perfectly.

darn2ten

How old is your 835? Reason I ask is you are the third person to talk about shells "failing" this year on here. The common denominator...a 835. I pattern many turkey guns every year, and help many people set their guns up. In all my years of doing so I have witnessed 4 factory shells not firing. One gun was a very old Winchester pump that was wore out and pretty dirty. The other 3 were all 835's. Actually 2 shells out of one gun and one out of another. The one gun was extremely dirty and after removing the bolt and a good cleaning of the firing pin to my knowledge he hasn't had anymore issues. The other gun had to have the firing pin spring replaced and that fixed his. All of these 4 shells that ftf in those guns were put in another gun and all fired. Just like yours, they wouldn't do it everytime. I also know guys with old 835's that have never had this issue, but they also keep there guns clean. Not saying this to bash 835's, as I think they are great patterning turkey guns. Just believe that their firing pin design and spring tend to cause a higher percentage of light primer strikes than other designs.

tha bugman

:you_rock:
Quote from: Buzzkiller on May 05, 2015, 08:48:06 PM
I have used them for 2 seasons now without any problems.
they pattern great in my Rem.870 and Browning Gold

zelmo1

:funnyturkey: 6 fired in  the field , and more on the range, and 5 dead birds and a medium sized spruce tree. No beard or spurs but it weighed around 600 pounds, never twitched. Al Baker

Tennessee Lead

I've shot 4 boxes of them this year through my 835 and all went bang.

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker

Greybeard11

I've shot them thru my sons 835 and my Benelli and had no problems.
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway."  -John Wayne

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I saw a benelli nova strike a chambered longbeard XR shell in Kentucky last weekend with 2 longbeards at 25 yards and no discharge.
Primer was dimpled.