turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Missed at 5 yards

Started by aaron.haverfield@gmail.co, May 04, 2015, 10:17:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaron.haverfield@gmail.co

Darn you Sumtoy, why are your chokes so good. Had a big strutter at 5 yard thru the brush. He seen me move the gun as I went to shoot and I missed. Then clipped him on the second shot. Should have been tagged out. Looks like I'm going to be 2 for 3 in illinois this season.

Tommythreetoes

WV TURKEY THUG

Boydawg

OU or sideXside , near choke and a far choke.

outdoors

:TrainWreck1:

:angry9:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Thought about that as I was kicking myself in the butt

Bigeclipse

Quote from: aaron.haverfield@gmail.co on May 04, 2015, 10:17:48 AM
Darn you Sumtoy, why are your chokes so good. Had a big strutter at 5 yard thru the brush. He seen me move the gun as I went to shoot and I missed. Then clipped him on the second shot. Should have been tagged out. Looks like I'm going to be 2 for 3 in illinois this season.

I have only shot one bird so take this for what it is worth BUT from everything I have read and what I was told is that at close ranges you should aim at base of neck/top of breast.  This way, some will penetrate to vitals inside the turkey BUT it will definitely ruin some of the meat.

Gooserbat

Had a big strutter at 5 yard thru the brush.

No office but the thru the brush bit sounds like poor shot selection.  Also when close hold low.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Yeah, looking back now I did everything wrong. But when you forget your gnat spray in Illinois. 15 mins of being ate alive I was just ready to kill him and get out of there. And had no other shot but thru the brush the way I was set up.

HFultzjr

Too close can be as bad as too far!

I'll take a nice 25 yard shot, if I could plan them that way.

Oh well, sounds like an exciting morning anyway.

:newmascot:

Yeah, if I would have slowed down and put the decoys out further he'd been dead. Just gor too excited, was the first long beard I have called in by my self that was already on the ground and not known was there. Live and learn I guess.

Snoodsniper

Onpoint

Quote from: Gooserbat on May 04, 2015, 02:50:04 PM
Had a big strutter at 5 yard thru the brush.

No office but the thru the brush bit sounds like poor shot selection.  Also when close hold low.
that close I wouldn't be scared to blast through some light brush, pencil lead diameter stuff or maybe a little bigger. Big as a finger, hell nah.

Oh, at 5 yards those Long Beard XR don't care if there is brush in the way. The brush wasn't really the problem with the miss. It just caused me not to see that he still had his head turned where he could see me move the gun to aim the red dot. If I would have just when for a body shot instead of the decapitation, he'd been dead. So many things I did wrong, the only thing I did right was calling him in and holding of the temptation of killing the Gnats eating my face for the 15 minutes the tom was destroying my brand new AVIAN X Jake. You can see the outline of the opening of my under-armor mask from the gnat bites.

Tip: always carry vanila spray during turkey season in Illinois.

sixbird

Here's what I do. Take it for what it's worth. Shannon makes a bug suit that keeps all those bugs out. It has a veil that goes over your face. Nothing gets through. It's comfy in all weather...