OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Burris ff 2 or 3

Started by matchbook454, May 03, 2015, 09:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matchbook454

I'm thinking about putting one of these on my Franchi Affinity (b/u gun) and am wondering how these mount to your gun?  Would rather not drill and tap if I dont have to but am guessing I will.

turkey_slayer

3 is better. Mainly cause you don't have to remove the sight to change the battery. I would tap it for a 336 mount but could probably find a vent rib mount

Bigeclipse

both are great but unless you can find a killer deal on a fastfire 2 id definitely opt for the FF3. 

Jbird22

I'm gonna vote opposite of those guys. I bought a FF II 4-5 yrs ago and love it. The FF III has a few improvements but the II is still just as good of a sight for less money. I bought another FF II  for a different gun this year when Optics Planet was selling demo's pretty cheap. As for battery life, I just changed mine  before the season started for the first time and I'm not so sure it needed it. It was a better safe than sorry thought on my part. I will NOT change either of mine next season though.

turkey_slayer

I agree jbird. The 2 is a solid sight and is what I currently use. I take mine off at the end of every season, even the mount, and give the gun a thorough cleaning so the battery thing isn't a big deal to me. Plus I change my battery before I put it back on to line it up so I don't have to worry about it dying in the field. If someone isn't the type that does that the 3 would suit them better. Plus you can get a slightly smaller dot. 4moa vs 3moa.

Jbird22

Haven't I read where the typical battery life on the FF's is somewhere around 15,000 hrs or something of the sort?

EDIT: Did a quick search and when BurrisOptics used to post here he said an aftermarket battery could last up to 20,000 hrs.

Bigeclipse

Quote from: JBIRD22 on May 04, 2015, 04:19:30 PM
Haven't I read where the typical battery life on the FF's is somewhere around 15,000 hrs or something of the sort?

EDIT: Did a quick search and when BurrisOptics used to post here he said an aftermarket battery could last up to 20,000 hrs.
agreed BUT the FF3 also has additional brightness settings which is useful.  I have not seen a FFII in person but I can say that in the brightest of daylight I could still see the 3MOA dot beautifully without the sunshade, all though the sunshade acts as a bit of protection which covers the glass from scratches.  I like the idea of 3MOA vs 4MOA, not for shotgun use but for pistol use (I intend on using this for both my pistol and shotgun).  The FF3 also has an 8hr auto off feature which is nice but like others have said, the battery life is tremendous anyways.  Some may view the 8hr auto off as a negative as well as if you end up sitting for over 8hrs and forget to turn it back on you could be up sh*ts creek. 

Jbird22

Quote from: Bigeclipse on May 04, 2015, 04:33:10 PM
Quote from: JBIRD22 on May 04, 2015, 04:19:30 PM

agreed BUT the FF3 also has additional brightness settings which is useful.  I have not seen a FFII in person but I can say that in the brightest of daylight I could still see the 3MOA dot beautifully without the sunshade, all though the sunshade acts as a bit of protection which covers the glass from scratches.  I like the idea of 3MOA vs 4MOA, not for shotgun use but for pistol use (I intend on using this for both my pistol and shotgun).  The FF3 also has an 8hr auto off feature which is nice but like others have said, the battery life is tremendous anyways.  Some may view the 8hr auto off as a negative as well as if you end up sitting for over 8hrs and forget to turn it back on you could be up sh*ts creek. 
Sun has never been an issue for me with the FFII. Now the 8 hr auto off would have come in handy for me before..lol

hunter22

I have used a FF2 for the past several years. It has been 4 years since I changed batteries in mine. But I only turn mine on when I am getting ready to shoot or a gobbler is coming in. I probably have taken at least 30 gobblers with mine and love it. That said if I were buying a new sight it would probably be the FF3. My buddy has one and I like the light intensity setting on the 3. I would definitely get the 3 MOA red dot model.

matchbook454

Can anyone recommend a scope mount that will fit on a Franchi Affinity?  I am thinking something like a B Square but they do not make one for the Affinity.   

stinkpickle

Quote from: matchbook454 on May 05, 2015, 10:54:15 AM
Can anyone recommend a scope mount that will fit on a Franchi Affinity?  I am thinking something like a B Square but they do not make one for the Affinity.   

I use a rib mount...

http://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/rings-mounts-amp-bases/mount-sets/universal-cantilever-rib-mount-prod1770.aspx

..and cut it down to size.

mudhen

III preferred...

Battery on top, adjustable settings, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

hunter22

Have your gun drilled and tapped for a 336 base. It sits right down on the receiver done this way.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: hunter22 on May 05, 2015, 01:17:55 PM
Have your gun drilled and tapped for a 336 base. It sits right down on the receiver done this way.

thats the way to go, think i got mine drilled and tapped with the 336 for $50

I love the II but would go the III if I was buying right now for the battery on top, I just changed mine and had to completely re sight in. not the end of the world but it would have been great to not need to.

I honestly would also look at the new options by Vortex, I trust their customer sevice a little more
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>