OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Heavyweight and chokes

Started by robbartley, May 03, 2015, 07:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robbartley

New to non-lead ammo and see some discussion about chokes being approved for heavy shot.  Can someone fill me in?  I do not hunt with an after market choke, I use a extra full turkey choke (OEM) in my SP-10.  Can I shoot Federal Heavyweights?  Are there any restrictions on what I can shoot in this setup?

LaLongbeard

The HVY shot and other non-lead loads will not damage a modern firearm the SP10 was made for Goose hunting with steel shot. To get the best performance from the gun you will need a new  choke tube designed for the Hvy shot/ non lead loads. Look up Nitro turkey loads they make custom shells. You don't have to buy there shells the website has a section with info on each popular shotgun and several load/choke combos and the test results of pattern great info. Look up your SP 10 and it will give you couple options. I don't know anyone that has spent more time testing Turkeyloads than the people at Nitro. If you've never tried the new loads and chokes in your SP10 you will be shocked at the pattern improvement over the old lead. If I was going to tote that heavy cannon thru the woods I'd spend a little time and money to get the best pattern I could to make it worth the effort.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

robbartley

Thank you so much for the information, I appreciate your help.

Dtrkyman

Federal heavyweight uses a different wad design and is not recommended to be used with ported or wad stripper type chokes, your standard extra full will probably provide great performance, but of course you need to shoot it to find out,  be sure to use a large target, at least 3'x3' so you can see your whole pattern, many shotguns do not shoot point of aim.

Aftermarket extended tubes typically yield better results, just stick with the types recommended by federal for that shell!

robbartley

Thanks for the help!  This combo folded a tom on Sunday at 30 yards.