OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi 13 Crimp Seal/Buffer Leaking

Started by akp, April 29, 2015, 12:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akp

I started shooting Hevi 13 shells this season and noticed the seal on the crimp working loose on most of them.  I looked on the internet for solutions and found several.  I decided to get the official word from Environmetal and they told me to reseal them with Loctite Instant Adhesive (46040).  I actually spoke by phone to an individual there and I'm pretty sure he told me that's what they're sealed with at the factory.  Thought I would pass this along....

mikejd

Happens to all of them. Thats why I stopped using them. 5$ a shot and I have to re glue your seal.
no thanks.

QC. Is lousy.

akp

Yea, not real impressive.  They did offer to replace them if it was bad enough.  He told me it was likely from loading and unloading.  Mine are starting to break down even without loading them. 

Hunted all weekend with them and now I have a sandy/gritty buffer in the magazine tube and receiver.

Bigeclipse

Quote from: akp on April 29, 2015, 12:07:36 PM
I started shooting Hevi 13 shells this season and noticed the seal on the crimp working loose on most of them.  I looked on the internet for solutions and found several.  I decided to get the official word from Environmetal and they told me to reseal them with Loctite Instant Adhesive (46040).  I actually spoke by phone to an individual there and I'm pretty sure he told me that's what they're sealed with at the factory.  Thought I would pass this along....

I hate to sound stupid but what exactly is the seal on the crimp?  Are you talking the metal base part of the base or the top of the shell where the BBs come out?  I am new to shotgun shell terms.  I know what a crimp is in respect to pistol ammo, just never heard this issue with shotgun ammo and I use Hevi mag blend so need to know what to look for.  Thanks!

Jbird22

I've had shells from Winchester and Federal do the same thing before. A few drops of Elmer's glue is worth it to me for how they perform on turkeys.

Jbird22

Quote from: Bigeclipse on April 29, 2015, 01:48:22 PM

I hate to sound stupid but what exactly is the seal on the crimp?  Are you talking the metal base part of the base or the top of the shell where the BBs come out?  I am new to shotgun shell terms.  I know what a crimp is in respect to pistol ammo, just never heard this issue with shotgun ammo and I use Hevi mag blend so need to know what to look for.  Thanks!
He's referring to the top of the shell where BB's exit. They seal the crimp with glue/adhesive to keep the buffer from leaking out.

akp

They sure do shoot well out of my gun, so I'll use the glue.  I just wanted to pass along what the official word is on what to use on them since many folks on here use them.  Don't really want to debate whether or not the shells are worth it...

Bigeclipse

Quote from: JBIRD22 on April 29, 2015, 01:51:03 PM
Quote from: Bigeclipse on April 29, 2015, 01:48:22 PM

He's referring to the top of the shell where BB's exit. They seal the crimp with glue/adhesive to keep the buffer from leaking out.

thanks...I will keep an eye on that!

2eagles

When mine did that, I lit a candle and dripped a little wax on the crimp.

Dr Juice

Quote from: 2eagles on April 29, 2015, 01:58:09 PM
When mine did that, I lit a candle and dripped a little wax on the crimp.
Good advice. Thx.

steveo

Have the same thing occurring with Fed HVYW shells, can't say it's causing any issues other than buffer in my pockets, still smoking Gobblets with em !.

Snoodsniper

I don't miss the buffer at all. The old Remington heavyweights and the Winchesters did the same thing. I completely strip my BPS at the end of each season and that crap was everywhere.

Greg Massey

Thanks for the information ... I will fix mine this weekend

captin_hook

mikejd

I now use longbeards. Totally sealed.