Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Could use some help rounding out my decoy flock

Started by rkm456, April 28, 2015, 12:09:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkm456

I've currently got a strutter and a breeder. Any suggestions on what I should be adding next? Jake, lookout, or a feeder?

splinter84

I currently run with a jake and lookout hen. I would like to grab either a breeder or feeder hen to round out my setup, but the two seem work great.

In your case I would opt for the feeder over the lookout or jake. There is something about a single strutter or jake paired with a couple of hens that just drives those toms crazy.

hotspur

rkm456

Quote from: splinter84 on April 28, 2015, 01:29:18 PM
I currently run with a jake and lookout hen. I would like to grab either a breeder or feeder hen to round out my setup, but the two seem work great.

In your case I would opt for the feeder over the lookout or jake. There is something about a single strutter or jake paired with a couple of hens that just drives those toms crazy.

Sounds like a smart plan to me. Of course when I went into Bass Pro today to look at the decoys and end up leaving with a new Ruger 10/22, lol. Unfortunately a brand new Ruger 10/22 in Mossy Oak for 200 bucks isn't something one just walks away from.

rkm456

Quote from: hotspur on April 28, 2015, 02:32:09 PM
Get u a trans-fan !!!  :boon:

Hadn't heard of them before so googled it. Doesn't seem like the safest idea when hunting public land, lol.

hotspur

I couldn't resist joking with you, I think you'll be fine with whatever you choose

alclark2

I know a lot of people go with the jake and hen setup successfully.
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

Greg Massey

Feeder... I like this with my Jake breeder. After that I would get a look out...hen

Cut N Run

Add one of these; http://www.walmart.com/ip/Edge-Your-Biggest-Fan-DIY-Turkey-Tail-Fan-Kit/14504281  and make it into a jake fan, then put it along with a stubby beard on your strutter and you have a strutting jake that's looking to get his @$$ kicked.  They're currently out of stock, but come up for sale on ebay often. 

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.