turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Awesome hunt with daughter

Started by steveo, April 25, 2015, 10:53:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveo

Daughter and I went back to a area that we hunted this past Tuesday with a new game plan, morning started off with some great roost gobbling early then silence after they hit dirt. Knowing the gobblers had hens with them we waited and did no calling just listening. After a hour we saw two hens drift off a hill out front and to our left, some light clucking brought one hen unglued she started cutting and yelping so much that the gobblers 100 yards distant started a gobble fest. I keyed up the tempo and broke into a shouting match with her this caused them to move to within 25 yards cutting as they came. After a half hour the gobblers had not moved, the hens drifted left and behind us into the woods as we could hear them walking and scratching, then it all happened I looked left and three long beards were heading our way. The lead gobbler walked to within 40 yards and stopped at the property border like he knew he was safe! Then drifted back with the others. At this point our balloon deflated as we watched all of them drift off into posted property, we discussed how 1' separated her from killing that bird and I told her let's wait because I have had them drift back in latter in the morning. Well A half hour latter I look left and here comes a long beard heading our way on a mission, couple of soft clucks and purrs and the deal was sealed, the two other LB's were following but 40 yards behind. I told my daughter no trying for a double just take the first on our property....... 5 min latter he was there strutting and looking at 25 yards she was ready and on him, BOOM ! Gobbler down!!!!! Way to go girl! Some high fives hugs and I love you daddy and she had her long beard 10 1/4" beard 1" Spurs 20lbs. I am so proud of her for having patience during the highs and lows this morning and sticking with it despite it being 36 degrees and her being cold.

alloutdoors

Great job, congrats to you both!

g8rvet

Great story and hunt.  She learned a lot about ethics, patience and woodsmanship from the perfect place - her Daddy.  Congrats.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

beagler

Never Misses

zelmo1

:z-winnersmiley:  Perfect day for a daughter and dad. Congrats

gophert

congrats!

Sent from my typewriter

bbcustomboxcalls

She did a great job and that's a real nice turkey.

Bill

Shaky Jake

101st501

I love all hunting stories, but the ones with the kids are the best.

Thunderbolt

taylorjones20

Alive only by the Grace Of God

born2hunt

Those lows make the highs even higher. Congrats.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

mgm1955

Great story. Congrats to you and your daughter!!

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Swampchickin234

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk