OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Did I find a dusting bowl? Need some help on this one!

Started by Coachwate, April 23, 2015, 09:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coachwate

I went walking today to try and find another area to hunt and stumbled on this at the base of the old road that used to lead to two food plots that DNR has let grow up. As I have said before I'm new to turkey hunting and wanted to get some experienced hunters opinions. Did I find a dusting bowl? If so should I try this spot on Saturday even though they are calling for rain?

MEbeardlover

The dusting sites I have encountered usually have other sign with them: feathers, tracks, droppings, etc. They also are more of a depression in the soil. That being said, it is garden to tell from a photo.

When you do locate a dusting site, as far as set ups are concerned, that is something that would come after you have patterned the birds. Turkeys have a tendency to use dusting sites at certain times during the day, and if you can establish that pattern, it could be worth a set up. I will say that I have never done that. I have used the discovery of a dusting site more to establish that I have ,located an area that turkeys use regularly.

Coachwate

The picture doesn't do it justice. The depression is deeper than it looks in the pic. I did see some scratching a little bit past it too. It has been raining like crazy here the last week and today is the only day it hasn't rained at all since Friday. Just trying to give all the details. And I guess my real question is will this be a good area to try, but not specifically the bowl, because where I have been hunted has been pressured so much you here nothing in the morning.

jed clampett

Most of the dusting bowls I have seen have been at the edges of the field in bare dirt droppings and feathers around. I have even seen wing imprints in bare loose dirt prints where they walked..this is when it was pretty dry...that what you seen might be...looks like a old deer scrape