OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Next approach

Started by laker, April 23, 2015, 10:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laker

Opening morning (Saturday): Went out and heard a lot of gobbling early on the roost. From the gobbles i heard, I'm expecting 4-5 birds that were in close range. Once the birds hit the ground the birds gobbled to my call while going away from me. By about 9:30 i heard the last gobble of the day. Headed home about 1:00.
On Sunday morning there was a thunderstorm.
Tuesday morning: Decided to go out early and sneak in to the position they was roosted on Saturday to cut them off, expecting them to be heading to hens and away from my calling. The gobbles that i started hearing were no where near where they had been on Saturday! I know a bird may move from the roost but I would at least expect to stay in the general area.
This morning(Thursday): Set up in a blind at another one of my hunting locations and heard no gobbling and just a little bit of hen talk. Had to leave a little earlier than I normally would when hunting but i don't feel I would've had any luck anyway.

What is a good suggestion for the next approach to try? These birds are being difficult and i feel they will just get harder and harder to pick up as the year goes by. I feel the birds may be very strongly henned up and not wanting to move but cannot seem to  figure out their pattern to cut them off. Thanks for any help
Also our season ends on May 10th if that helps any... South Central Kentucky

dutch@fx4

well I would try them after noon or evening if you can hunt in your area latter in the day .some times this is the best way to get a tom that is away from his hens ,,If you can hunt from noon till 3pm that is a great time to kill a bird ,,Dutch