OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What to do now?

Started by deerbasshunter3, April 23, 2015, 07:45:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

I haven't heard a single gobbler yet. I never even heard an owl hoot. What should I do now? Time to go somewhere else?

zelmo1

:turkey2: Run and gun. Move and call. If you only have a small piece to hunt and it has birds. Make slow circles, they will be around.

Spitten and drummen

sell all your turkey hunting gear and take up golf. :funnyturkey:
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Bowguy

Sometimes they get quiet. This week- Monday gobbling like banshees, coyote came rushing in. Tues a couple real far away, Yesterday nothing, today had a nice bird in cover at the edge of range, let em walk but he never made a sound cept for a single cluck flying down. He did gobble once last night and thats how I knew where he was. As you see it changes day to day. I shoulda had two dead birds n all I have is stories but that's why its hunting. Youth day was Sat, good roost gobbling, than quiet, finally a gobble an hour later n they came in yelping. Other than Monday none classic hunts so stick with it

TRG3

I relate to your woes. The Illinois six-day third season found me out there by 4:45 every morning. In fact, at 5:20 one morning they started gobbling but the hens took them the other way 30 minutes later. Only one day did a gobbler come within 100 yards but did not see my decoys. With my broken right ankle, I could not belly crawl toward him or work my way down a ditch in his direction. Wait 'till next year!! Giving spaced energetic cackles brought in six hens over a couple of hours, some within 20', but only heard one gobbler one time that day and he did not respond. Sometimes, the most you can do is give it your best and live with the results. I'm waiting for the Illinois 5th season where I hope there are more gobblers frantically seeking hen, many of which may already be on the nest, leaving toms lonesome.

deerbasshunter3

I had a feeling it might be bad when I never heard the first owl hoot. I did get called out of the woods for an impromptu work appointment, but had not heard anything up to 8:30 when I left. I had another hunter pull up on his way out when I was leaving that said he heard one gobble, but it was "a mile away".

Tomorrow morning, I am going to try the spot where I at least saw tracks. I am going to put out a hen and a jake and just sit, calling every 10 or 15 minutes. It is my last day to hunt this season so I figure, what do I have to lose?