turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bird down in N Florida

Started by g8rvet, April 22, 2015, 10:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

Been chasing some gobblers, they are gobbling their heads off at first light for the last 3 days and twice we have seen hens heading to them at a fast trot.  This is on hard hunted public land, so we knew we needed to get on them.  I have passed on two jakes this year, one public, one private and I decided last night as I was still blanked, I was gonna kill the first legal bird I had in my sights today (I could hunt today and Sunday and the season is out).  Bird gobbles this AM and I move in. The only place to set up as close as I wanted had zero cover and to get to it, I had to walk right by his roost, so I backed up a little on a road that comes from a field.  I called sparingly and he answered. He came up the road, gobbling frequently.  He gets to the spot I wanted to get to and hangs up, strutting and gobbling (maybe 60 yards away). I think no sweat, he will come, he knows a hen is here.  An hour later, he is still there and still gobbling and I am just being patient. I had packed a lunch and planned to hunt until 1PM if needed.  About that time I notice movement to my right and see 3 birds heading to him at a trot across a grown up field.  Crud.  Henned up again.  They are too close to  me and him or I would have waved and scattered them if I had seen them across the field.  I get my gun up just in case as I can't see the trail birds real well.  The first is a hen and #2 following her has red on his head!  He steps out for an ID and I clearly see a beard and down goes Frazier.  38 yards. My first public land kill (I have called 3 in for others on public, just never killed one) and my first kill with a 20.  He did not flop until I stepped on his head.  The Fed HW #7 performed as advertised.  I cut it close this year, but never gave up and hunted harder instead of getting discouraged.  Even though he was a little 6" beard bird, with the lack of gobbles and the lack of tracks and the lack of birds after the first week, he feels like a trophy.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

alloutdoors

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

LI Outdoorsman

any gobbling, bearded bird called up and killed on public land is a trophy!
Congrats

tomstopper

darn2ten

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

101st501

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

870supermagnum

trkycaller

RutnNStrutn

Good job Larry!! Congrats!! :icon_thumright:
Was that at that same place I used to come up and deer hunt? Good turkeys there, but a lot of pressure too!

g8rvet

I don't think so, Jim.  I thought you hunted where you had to wait in line, right? 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

RutnNStrutn

Snoodsniper

Congrats! Looks like a good one to me.