OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Lunch Time bird down in KY

Started by hgoutdoors, April 22, 2015, 08:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hgoutdoors

Well yesterday was interesting to say the least. My brother and I were supposed to hunt together yesterday morning, and he was supposed to meet me at 5:30 at my place. At 5:15 I called him a couple times and it went to his voicemail, so I figured he overslept and hit the woods.
I worked a few birds on the roost, all of which were eventually pulled away by hens. I got a text from my brother about 9:45 saying that he did indeed oversleep and would meet me at the farm at 11. Our plan was to walk the ridges and try to strike one up, so I immediately went to a ridge I had sat earlier in the morning that had several birds gobbling in a small field below. Unfortunately, that field isn't on our property. Sure enough, after hitting the crow call, 3 birds gobbled down the hill about 100 yds away. We hit the deck and set up on the closest trees we could find. After a couple calling sequences they found a gap in the fence, crossed the fence and came straight in. This is my brother's second turkey (his first longbeard) and its a dandy. 27 lb, double beard (10" and 8") and 1 1/2" spurs. Speaking of spurs, I took one to the palm when I went to go grab the bird, and ended up going deep enough to sever one of the muscles in my hand. Incredible hunt though; well worth the stitches and tetanus shot :)

jblackburn

Great story, great hunt and GREAT pictures!  I've been spurred, too.  Does not tickle!  Grab them by the feet, below the spurs and you will be much safer (or wait until the floppage stops).
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

hgoutdoors

Quote from: jblackburn on April 22, 2015, 09:26:45 AM
Great story, great hunt and GREAT pictures!  I've been spurred, too.  Does not tickle!  Grab them by the feet, below the spurs and you will be much safer (or wait until the floppage stops).
Thank you sir!! That's where I messed up... Grabbed him above the spurs. One good flop and there goes my hand lol I felt like an idiot!

kjnengr

Nice bird for your brother.  Sorry about the battle wound.  I would say you won the battle.

I am typically not scared of the feet/spurs and grab the legs about mid way down their legs.  Once you have the legs under control they generally can't get you.  However, I have come to the realization that if they are not running off, I just let them flop on the ground.  He isn't going anywhere and picking him up before he fully expires isn't really doing anything.  I like to keep my fans, and if he seems like he is flopping in a way that might damage the fan, I will most definitely grab him.

I will try the foot grab thing next time I have to grab one.

hgoutdoors

Quote from: kjnengr on April 22, 2015, 09:33:44 AM
Nice bird for your brother.  Sorry about the battle wound.  I would say you won the battle.

I am typically not scared of the feet/spurs and grab the legs about mid way down their legs.  Once you have the legs under control they generally can't get you.  However, I have come to the realization that if they are not running off, I just let them flop on the ground.  He isn't going anywhere and picking him up before he fully expires isn't really doing anything.  I like to keep my fans, and if he seems like he is flopping in a way that might damage the fan, I will most definitely grab him.

Definitely with you on that one. This particular bird was on the side of a steep ridge and as he flopped he continued to  down the ridge. Next time I'll just wait it out and walk down the hill :)

jblackburn

Quote from: kjnengr on April 22, 2015, 09:33:44 AM

It definitely helps save the feathers.  I like saving fans as well.  I grab the feet, put a foot on the head and pull.  The wings usually keep beating/flopping, but it should be against your legs and those won't hurt you. 

Also depends on "how dead" ( if that makes sense) they are.  A 20-25 yard center punch of red mist can be a different flop than a 40 yard dead
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

alloutdoors

Congrats, but 1 1/2" spurs? Is that added together?

zelmo1

g8rvet

My first ever gobbler I grabbed him up as he flopped as my buddy said "No".  The spur got hung in my glove and it worked me over pretty good.  Had a time unwrapping him.  Still felt good though!  Your flesh will heal. Tom's?  Not so much! 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

101st501

tomstopper

Congrats. I put my foot on their head and sometimes then grab the feet or just let them kick. All depends on how I feel at the moment and just how hard he is flopping.....

daveco

Quote from: tomstopper on April 22, 2015, 02:55:32 PM
Congrats. I put my foot on their head and sometimes then grab the feet or just let them kick. All depends on how I feel at the moment and just how hard he is flopping.....

I second that; putting your foot on the bird's head.  Even if it stops flapping, then, if you pick it up by the legs, it can sometimes start flapping again.

Bill Cooksey

Quote from: g8rvet on April 22, 2015, 11:09:19 AM
My first ever gobbler I grabbed him up as he flopped as my buddy said "No".  The spur got hung in my glove and it worked me over pretty good.  Had a time unwrapping him.  Still felt good though!  Your flesh will heal. Tom's?  Not so much!

Friend of mine had one with seriously sharp hooks get hung in his glove once. Can't recall the exact number, but the stitches numbered in the teens. He sports a heck of a scar now.

HunterMc23