turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ground Blind Question

Started by WAGinVA, April 20, 2015, 07:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAGinVA

Well I finally broke down and bought a ground blind primarily to hunt in the rain.  Bought an inexpensive Ameristep hub blind.  Two questions:
1.  Are the shoot thru windows worth leaving in or should I just remove them to start with.
2.  Do you wear regular camo in the blind or black

rock54

i have the same set up...

i leave the mesh windows and cut slits in it to poke my gun out thru....

when bow huntn i take down the mesh windows...

i wear black top and face mask, seems to be what i wear
all the time, mesh windows in or out....

hope this helps russ

daveco

1. Put someone in the blind, and stand outside it, using shoot thru, and not. You decide.
2. I only use camo, when within the blind, in case I need to run and gun, later.

MEbeardlover

Slits are a good idea. When you remove a window completely, you let in a lot of light. And if any of those windows are behind you, you can light yourself up inside.

If the inside of the blind is black, you should wear black as well. Something cheap, an old fleece, or a double xx black sweatshirt to go over your regular camo works well. The key is the head, face, and hands. Must be covered.With all of the black, the face, head, and hands really stand out.

Dtrkyman

Hate looking through mesh, I never use it, wear black and forget it...I really only gun hunt from a blind in the rain and still black out...I have drawn my bow with dozens of turkey within 20 yards and they simply cannot see you if your blacked out!

If I want to run and gun I just wear a camo shirt under the black, or if it is cold I have an insulated hoodie that is black inside and camo outside.

On the occasion I do gun hunt I open just about all the windows and tuck into a corner, with my double bull I can open close windows undetected if I need to!

silvestris

I bought a Double Bull over ten years ago to bow hunt deer.  The most miserable hunting experience of my life.  I hate them.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

lhprop1

My ground blind didn't come with screens so I jimmy rigged it.  I got a roll of Velcro and some old screen from a sliding door that I had to replace.  I attached the screen with the Velcro and now I can remove them if I want them out or keep them in if I'm set up in a situation where the sun makes me more visible.