OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Campbell Birds

Started by strutnrut, April 20, 2015, 08:55:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strutnrut

Fort Campbell birds have been giving Tyler a fit all year. The have been henned up some kind of bad. Gobbling on the roost flying down and getting lock jaw. This is the first weekend I have been able to hunt with Tyler this year and wanted to help him out if I could. We have been seeing a very large goup of birds in this feild everyday and finally they opened up the area. So we went after them. There were atleast 9 gobblers and 40 or so hens using this field but they are road shy as all get out. If a vehicle slows down they run for the woods. We decide to us this and set up on the wood line. We know we aren't the only ones seeing this flock so it's going to be an early morning. We get there at 4 am to secure the rights to hunt them. We ease down into position way before daylight. The morning breaks perfect the morning birds start singing and the gobblers get fired up at about 6am. There were atleast 8 gobblers in different trees. Man this is going to be great. All of these gobblers are within 100 yards of us down on the creek bottom. BUT the hens are right behind and to the right of us about 50 yards. You can see them in the trees.  I cluck on that Buffalo yelper and this hen start clucking back. I cluck with a box and do a fly down and the gobblers are going crazy and fly down into the creek bottom. The hens hit the ground and go straight to the gobblers. Bad Bad Bad.....NOW Fast forward 14 hours later and 5 miles of circling around and around finds us setting right back at the same two trees on the edge of the field. We had talked about if two birds come in at the same time who would shoot which bird. At 6pm I see 3 gobblers come out into the field about 150 yards to our left and I cluck at them and they liked what they heard and start our way. I was to shoot the lead bird. WELL, The end result is the trail bird getting two loads to the head and the first one should have flew out of there because them military boys don't play around. (Just as I said shoot the second bird step in front of the first one. I failed to switch but Tyler didn't he shifted to the second bird) a double load 5 and 6's to the head at 30 yards will most definely kill a turkey.  ROTFLMBO A long day spend making memories . I think I used every call i had in my vest at one point of the other. To many gobbler and two many hens. They walked us half to death. Me any ways  ROTFLMBO
First 20 lbs 1 inch spurs with a very small double spur showing. Second bird 24 lbs 1 inch spurs double beard.

cphill

Congrats man sounds like Yall had a great day...I am having problems with hens myself

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

strutnrut

I called in morfe hens than I did gobblers. The gobblers would get about 75 or 80 yards out and gobble there heads off. Tried pretty much everything. Soft, clucks and burned them up nothing seem to work but a walking talking hen. It finally worked out but took a long time

zelmo1

Congrats, never give up. Nice birds and a better effort.

alloutdoors

taylorjones20

Alive only by the Grace Of God

tomstopper

Dr Juice

owlhoot

101st501

RutnNStrutn

Congrats on the birds!!!

M Sharpe

Congrats to you and Tyler!!!! Sometimes those birds will just wear ya out!!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

strutnrut

Tyler strikes again, this Ol'Tom came a long way them made us move on him. We struck this bird with a box then switch to a pot and Extreme Kee.  He simply wasn't going to come up the side of that ridge. Left to Right. We waited until he moved away from us then dropped down on him. He like Tylers clucking, I throw in some yelps on a mouth call.  He was a two step type of gobbler. Two sets, strut and gobbler, then two steps.

Friday we watched 7 gobblers on the back side of that field where Tyler killed the double. I was pumped up for the morning hunt. Well after 12 hours and 3 gobbles and 20 mph winds overcast the sun finially popped out. Man it got hot quick. I was tucked back into some small pines and got hot and pulled off my mask and gloves, open my shirt up and just called every 20 mins or so on a pair of boxes. These birds like the back side of this field in the afternoon. At 4:09 these 4 toms come sneeking in. The caught me flat footed as a rookie. This Ol boy was 25 yards maybe picking at the ground. Knowing I couldn't wait I dropped the hammer on him. 22 lb 12 oz. 10 3/4 beard and 1 3/8 spurs. Now there are 6 Toms around that field.

Snoodsniper

Good bunch of birds. Congrats!