OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

have you guys ever seen

Started by span870, April 18, 2015, 10:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

span870

A gobbler mate with an imaginary hen? My boy killed one today. He was on a logging road in full strut for a good 45 minutes. Every once in a while, I think 5 times, he would break strut and act like he was mounting a hen. He would drop his wing feathers down just like mounting one and breed the air. I have asked everyone I know that turkey hunts and no one has ever seen this. Figure if anyone has it would be you guys on here.

sixbird

I've never seen that in person but I've noticed a few jakes doing that on T.V. Seems as though it may have been out of frustration...

owlhoot

Onpoint

Quote from: span870 on April 18, 2015, 10:18:43 PM
A gobbler mate with an imaginary hen? My boy killed one today. He was on a logging road in full strut for a good 45 minutes. Every once in a while, I think 5 times, he would break strut and act like he was mounting a hen. He would drop his wing feathers down just like mounting one and breed the air. I have asked everyone I know that turkey hunts and no one has ever seen this. Figure if anyone has it would be you guys on here.
I've seen a lot of things, but not that. I have a pet gobbler and a pet hen. Yesterday I brought a bird I killed in, and here comes my gobbler in full strut (all 7 pounds of him) he walks up to my bird and I'm expecting him to jump on him and show how tough he is by whooping a dead turkey,  boy was I ever wrong. He climbed up on him and went to town. The fact it was another gobbler was bad enough, but he was also at the wrong end up on his head.  gives whole new meaning to the word, well never mind.
My ol lady kicked him off there, and he flogged her and went back for more, she got a fiberglass rod about an inch across and 3 foot long and knocked his azz off him again. This played out about 10 more times over the next few minutes. Finally I had to put the bird up cuz he wouldn't even let me get a couple pics with my bird..

Big Treble

Good thing someone killed him, he probably would have gone blind.

gobblerman87

Maybe they were practicing as said above or maybe stresed and puffing or maybe it's a way they think they might run into a hen and her see him in full strut and they can get it on just my 2 cents

howl

Seen it calling for camera. Felt bad for the ol' boy. Had I a gun he'd never have had the chance.

turkey_slayer

Yes it was getting off. He's a two pump chump

2eagles

Reminds me of the old question........
What do you call a fisherman who can put six worms on one hook?