OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The Shakes

Started by Rapscallion Vermilion, April 18, 2015, 08:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rapscallion Vermilion

Anyone else have to deal with this on a regular basis?  Not the nervous jitters, but the cold to the bone shakes.  Drives me nuts. Hard to imagine holding a steady bead on a bird. The mornings have been close to or below freezing at 9000 ft elevation here.  After a couple or more hours of sitting near motionless the tremors start.  Add in some adrenalin and it gets really bad. Heavier clothes are out as the day starts with a long uphill climb.  Starting to think about electric underwear.

stinkpickle

I get cold and shiver real bad.  However, when a bird shows up, they magically stop.  BTW, I'm scared of anything called "electric underwear".

10gaugemag

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on April 18, 2015, 08:49:00 PM
Anyone else have to deal with this on a regular basis?  Not the nervous jitters, but the cold to the bone shakes.  Drives me nuts. Hard to imagine holding a steady bead on a bird. The mornings have been close to or below freezing at 9000 ft elevation here.  After a couple or more hours of sitting near motionless the tremors start.  Add in some adrenalin and it gets really bad. Heavier clothes are out as the day starts with a long uphill climb.  Starting to think about electric underwear.
Carry the warmer clothes in a pack until you get to the top of your climb and cool down, once cooled off put them on and be toasty. I do the same when going to my deer stand in the mornings, get too hot and sweat if I walk in my insulated clothing so I wait until I am at the stand to dress up.

Dtrkyman

I have a heated vest, works great, it is made by gerbing, the battery that comes with it is likely enough for turkey season but I bought the upgraded battery and between the 2 I can get a full day during deer season.

Of course one morning last turk season it was 17 degrees, I had it on full blast and luckily killed a bird early!

TauntoHawk

Same as deer hunting, quality layers packed in.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

owlhoot

Quote from: stinkpickle on April 18, 2015, 08:56:44 PM
I get cold and shiver real bad.  However, when a bird shows up, they magically stop.  BTW, I'm scared of anything called "electric underwear".
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: me too

gobblerman87

I tend to wear layers as we all kno it can get fairly chilly in the woods in the early mornings and as the temp starts to climb if you have a turkey vest drop a layer in the decoy bag and you'll be fine it's hard to get warm but it not to hard to get kool just remember that

Rapscallion Vermilion

I don't know, the electric underwear is sounding pretty good to me.  :laugh:  I'm currently using five layers, plus my vest.  Nothing very bulky though. Sweat build up on the way in is definitely a factor, but hard to avoid in this terrain.  The difference between walking and sitting still for a couple of hours feels like 30 or 40 degrees.  A typical day starts with two to four or more hours of sitting, depending on the birds, followed by several more running and gunning along canyon ridges, so I'm reluctant to haul too much more with me, but I could try going lighter on the way in with something extra in the back pouch. The heated vest by Gerbing that Dtrkyman uses gets some pretty good reviews.  :fire:  ANSAI is another one.  Thanks for all the suggestions.

kjnengr

Quote from: 10gaugemag on April 19, 2015, 06:42:59 AM
Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on April 18, 2015, 08:49:00 PM
Carry the warmer clothes in a pack until you get to the top of your climb and cool down, once cooled off put them on and be toasty. I do the same when going to my deer stand in the mornings, get too hot and sweat if I walk in my insulated clothing so I wait until I am at the stand to dress up.

Yep, what he said.   I sweat a lot and am a very warm natured person - until I sit motionless.  If it is cold (below freezing), I have to pack my jacket until I get to my desired location.  It varies from person to person, because my hunting buddy NEVER has to do it.