Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Two gobblers within 100 yards and then...

Started by canthuntforsquat, April 16, 2015, 01:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canthuntforsquat

Opening day we called in a couple gobblers that were within 100 yards of us but we never saw them.  What we did see was a coyote.  I spotted coyote before it spotted me and attempted to scare him off silently.  Which worked, I think.  But after the coyote sighting the gobbler shut up, so we moved on. but about 1/2 mile away we could hear a handful of hens feeding, but again didn't see any gobblers.  I guess my questions is, what's the best way to hunt this spot again.  I know the gobblers are there but it's likely they're with hens and there's at least one coyote milling around.  Thanks in advance.

jblackburn

I'd do whatever you did before and hope the coyote doesn't come back.  You probably could have stayed put after the song dog came through, give them time to calm down and called them back.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

TauntoHawk

turkeys deal with yotes on a daily basis and a healthy mature turkey isn't in much danger from one either, they certain get a little uneasy around one but most of the time settle down pretty quick. Ive been working birds when a coyote enters the field and the stop strutting and gobbling and just watched him trot right on past by only 15yds or so. As soon as he went by they gobbled and finished coming into the decoys.

Not all birds will react this way but id bet within an hour turkeys are right back to being turkeys 99% of the time.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 16, 2015, 03:36:25 PM
turkeys deal with yotes on a daily basis and a healthy mature turkey isn't in much danger from one either, they certain get a little uneasy around one but most of the time settle down pretty quick. Ive been working birds when a coyote enters the field and the stop strutting and gobbling and just watched him trot right on past by only 15yds or so. As soon as he went by they gobbled and finished coming into the decoys.

Not all birds will react this way but id bet within an hour turkeys are right back to being turkeys 99% of the time.
my experience as well
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE