OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Hunting in the Rain, who does it? I called a jake in yesterday while bow hunting...surprised.

Started by Honolua, April 15, 2015, 09:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Honolua

Since it was pouring rain yesterday I figured I'd pull some camera cards. I don't hardly ever hunt in the rain for turkeys (deer is another story). Well I figured I'd regret not taking my bow so I grabbed it and sat beside my ground blind in a spot we call, "Turkey Valley".

I mostly just soft called on a cheapie single double reed. I was surprised to get a Jake to come through the dekes. Obviously I let him walk since I don't like killing jakes/spikes  :OGani:

I was just pretty surprised to get one to come in during the rain.

Course jakes are dumb as a mailbox. :funnyturkey:

West Augusta

No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

MACHINIST

Inclement weather I usually have better luck with turkey and deer.The way I look at it is they live outside.It may be crappy for them but they aren't going to dig a hole to hide

eggshell

nativeks

Easter sunday a few years back I was driving to Easter dinner in a monsoon. Saw a Gobbler and 2 hens huddled under a tree on a field edge. Had everything I needed in the truck so I went after him. Got as close as I dared and started calling. He gobbled 4 times and came right in. I couldn't get a shot however. If you find a hot bird anything is possible.

West Augusta

No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Honolua

I have no problem being out in the rain I guess I just always subscribed to the notion that Turkeys wouldn't move in the rain.

Honestly though they are about as smart as a mailbox so anything is possible with them.

Like a guy in another thread just posted..."Turkeys being Turkeys".

101st501

My wife and I enjoy riding around in the rain.  We often see turkeys out in the fields during that time.

Greg Massey

I tag out in Tenn Tuesday morning in the rain. Don't let the rain stop you from hunting get you a good ground blind. The wind is what I dislike the most.

TauntoHawk

My best bird was in the rain right off the roost and he was hot and ready to go.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Big perm2

The biggest turkey I have ever killed was in the rain in Missouri during a heavy rain storm, he was in a field strutting with another longbeard a jake and some hens.. I like to hunt on a rainy day myself!!

Talkem into given up!!!

Tommy Strutsalot

Quote from: eggshell on April 15, 2015, 09:50:10 PM
The thing I dislike about hunting in the rain.....dead wet turkeys stink

Amen to that.  One time I was hunting in the rain on a Friday afternoon and killed a nice bird around happy hour time.  I figure, shoot, better hit the local watering hole quick.  Tossed the bird in the back of my jeep and off we went.  When I came out of the bar about a half hour later, I got in my jeep, promptly got out, and began the pre-puking ritual, and it wasn't cuz I had too much to drink...

wvlimbhanger

I prefer to set up on roosted birds and play a game of chess with them but I have grown to really enjoy sitting in a ground blind at the edge of a field in a light rain.  Especially once the second week of our season rolls around.  The slower pace gives me the ability to watch God's splendor much easier.

I've had very good success with seeing birds and getting them worked in to my setup.