turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

A First for Me While Using Decoys

Started by bbcoach, April 15, 2015, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

This morning I set out 2 hen decoys (1 feeding and 1 breeder) on a 485 yard shooting lane that I hunt deer on in the fall.  I've had numerous hen and gobbler sightings during the fall on this lane.  At about 7 o'clock, a single hen approached this setup and became physical with the feeder.  She was very vocal, cutting and yelping, and displayed aggressive behavior while strutting.  At about 9 o'clock, a second encounter ensued (not sure if it was the same hen or not), this time the hen attacked the breeder hen with her wings.  She would posture, with beak and neck to the ground, strut with full fan and go beak to beak with decoy.  She did this for more than 5 minutes before finally moving off.  This was an awesome sight.  Since this was a first for me, I'm not sure what to make of this.  Anyone else have this happen and what should I take from these encounters? 

Greg Massey

Ive had hens strut around my decoys but never attach them. Thats a first for me.

Snoodsniper

Had the same thing happen before. It's cool to watch.

RutnNStrutn

I've had one hen strut and attack my deke a few years back. Then a few weeks ago, I had another hen go into half strut and attack my hen deke. Pretty cool show to watch!! :icon_thumright:

Dan Mallia

hookedspur

Yes I have had this happen and the hen even try to gobble.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

MACHINIST

I wonder if a strutting hen "bats for the other team"!!!HAHA

Herb McClure

Yes, I too have saw this happen, several times. One time in the late sixties, when a hen came to my taxidermy hen decoy, she circled around to the decoy's rear; then she lowered her wings and straddled up on her back attempting to breed her; like two female cows; will do sometimes. I myself broke-out in a laugh and she flew off the mountain; my decoy's feathers all mess-up. herb mcclure   

MouthCaller

I've had a hen come in mad and even called in a hen that strutted to me but not attack a decoy.

strum

Quote from: MACHINIST on April 16, 2015, 07:15:04 AM
I wonder if a strutting hen "bats for the other team"!!!HAHA

An AC-DC hen?.... :toothy12: