turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What am I doing wrong!!!!????

Started by brandoncoant, April 12, 2015, 09:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandoncoant

Hello everyone, Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? The past few years I have scouted and found turkey tracks.I hunt my land and get turkey to gobble,so loud that they must be no farther than 40-50 yards but have not been able to see them.After about 15 minutes of them moving in closer and responding,they go silent and must  stray off. made sure that I put out my decoys and not to over call. Can someone help please!!!???

jcour4

bszweda

Are you in a blind? Ive found when they shut up they've busted you or found a hen however when they find a hen you usually can tell because the gobbles will be going the opposite direction as the hen pulls them away from you as your her competition. Are the gobbling early in the first 30 minutes after sunrise than shutting up? Or are they gobbling  mid day? Also when they gobble can you tell if they are moving? Like left to right gobbles like they are working a strut zone and getting hung up because of terrian or they feel the hen should be able to see them at the current location. id setup the decoys in a way that the gobblers won't be able to see them without exposing themselves to your fire. If a gobbler can see your decoys and you call it might scare them away because its unnatural as if the hen can see the gobbler it normally doesn't yelp because it  already knows where the tom is.what kind of terrian is your hunting land? Have you found a roost tree, feathers, or j shape poo?  I like to find a roosting area and attempt to sneak in the morning and at sunset to determine travel routes before the season. I'd then use a topo map and determine the likely route they will take. I usually have a gut feeling when I find a spot the turkeys will use.

10gaugemag

Quote from: jcour4 on April 12, 2015, 10:28:25 PM
Get rid of the decoys...
Bingo.
Scout scout  scout. Find out where they "want" to be not where you want them to be. Get in there before daylight for a few weeks before season, listen and watch where they go after flydown.  If you can hunt the area they fly to or the area they walk to after flydown that would be a good place to get during season. Sit still and if you cannot sit still get a blind. Be patient.

Clif Owen

I wish I could help you but I can't. My errors start with getting out of bed in the mornings.

gobblerman87

I believe what the first guy said is correct if they see the decoy but are not in shooting range then he is wondering how come she sees me and isn't coming to me and waiting a few more minute that ol Tom could get picked up by another hen he sees movement from so like suggeted put your decoys in shooting range so we he see the decoy you see him and bang you bagged a bird they can be very unpredictable so be patient as mentioned!!

brandoncoant

Thanks for the help. My woods are quite thick and swampy in some areas which draws lots of bugs.i have a row of hemlocks which is loaded with deer that drops off to a bowl shape with a creek running through the corner of my land. the creek is the end of my property and the other side of the creek is a big steep hill.The other side of my land slopes down to the bowl shape with a stone wall that juts out and funnels the turkey up an old logging trail which is where I've seen the tracks consecutive years in my preseason scouting. I've used decoys and no decoys and hunting in and out of a blind. I've always heard the gobbles like they are right on top of me but have yet to see anything. Call every 10-15 min and tried to call less frequent after hearing gobbles. I have never been able to locate a bird the night before and they don't start to gobble until around 9am.

brandoncoant

These are a few pictures of my land and what I am working with. I know it doesn't show much but the first picture is where I was setup last year which is on the very edge of my property with the most open woods to shoot. The second picture is of the logging trail where i always seem to find the turkey tracks in the snow a few weeks before opening day.The next is the deer run that runs down to the creek and into the bowl shape.The last picture is the creek and  kinda shows the hill that goes straight up. It seems like the gobbles were coming from across the creek or maybe up on top of the hill.

woody328

Are you saying that you were on one side of that creek and the gobbler sounded to be on the other? If so, could you see the creek from your setup? If it were me and a bird was gobbling on the opposite side of the creek from me, I would cross the creek. That is a very obvious hangup.

EDIT: I just caught that the creek is your property boundary. Any chance you could get permission to hunt the opposite side?

brandoncoant

That must be what happened. It sounded extremely close and how I was setup I dont believe the tom could have seen my decoys.Never saw the bird just heard it move in closer hang around for a while then take off.

Cutt

Quote from: brandoncoant on April 13, 2015, 08:32:08 AM
with the most open woods to shoot.

Biggest mistake many turkey hunters make, want to be able to see a long ways to see the birds coming. Setup is key, setup where he is in gun range when you first see him.

woody328

Quote from: Cutt on April 14, 2015, 08:10:20 AM
Quote from: brandoncoant on April 13, 2015, 08:32:08 AM
with the most open woods to shoot.

Biggest mistake many turkey hunters make, want to be able to see a long ways to see the birds coming. Setup is key, setup where he is in gun range when you first see him.

This nails it.

Triple Gobble

Just keep going, don't give up, and learn
Something every time you go out. There is
Nothing easy about turkey hunting, and if you
Keep at it and learning and most important
Staying confident, it will all come together. Also
So many times when that gobbler shuts up, he
Is around you and you just have to really
Keep a look out, and when you think it's time
To get up and make a move, wait it out awhile
Longer.
Live your life through Jesus, and life begins!!!!

WyoHunter

Quote from: jcour4 on April 12, 2015, 10:28:25 PM
Get rid of the decoys...
Sometimes decoys aren't the answer some would have you think.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

sixbird

I'm just guessing here, like everybody else but if that gobbler was coming and he suddenly stopped coming, my guess is he saw something. Maybe you moved to try to get an eyeball on him? Maybe he saw you move to make a call? I know guys say in some places gobblers are decoy shy. That could be but I've never experienced that (not saying it doesn't happen). I'd put that one low on the spectrum of possibilities...Your decoys, if you do use them should be 20 to 30 yds. from you and, if you're a right hander, off to your left somewhat...You should, ideally, be somewhat obscured by brush or trees or maybe a rock. Not that you need to be burrowed down in the brush but you shouldn't be sticking out looking real obvious. A big tree to your back if possible and NO SUNLIGHT ON YA'! If there is low brush in front of you (that you can shoot over or around) that wouldn't hurt. If you have to sit out in the open, lay down on your back with your head leaning against the tree. Lay your gun across your chest so you only need to make a minimum of movement to sit up and shoot. That way your profile will be low. When he comes in and struts for your decoy, he'll turn and his head will be behind his tail. You can move then. Move fast and deliberately to get into shooting position. When his head comes out from behind his fan, you'll be all set for the shot. Another thing is check all your gear. Nothing that flashes/shines/reflects? Hands covered? face covered? Nothing flapping in the breeze? No bright ,patches, etc.? NO SUN SHINING ON YOU??? Try to keep in the shadows...When he gets close do you stop calling? He could be pinpointing you from quite a distance if the woods is real open...I've found that calling too loud when they're close can sometimes put them off. Other times it can wind them up...Mostly though it's movement that gives you away...Hope that gives you some things think about and maybe help you get that pesky devil!   :fud: