turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Louisiana Public Land Bird Down

Started by Birdwatcher, April 11, 2015, 10:46:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birdwatcher

Hello all, my name is Eric....I've been an occasional reader on the site for a while now, and have learned quite a bit from you guys.  I would love to be be able to post knowledge about hunting turkey, but unfortunately I have very little to share.  I was raised on small game and deer hunting.  It's been several years now that I've taken up turkey hunting, and it's been humbling to say the least.  Up until Wednesday I had only bagged one bird in the last four years.  He was a nice Louisiana public land gobbler weighing 19lbs, 10" beard, and 1 1/4" spurs....I've been on birds for the last couple of years, but just couldn't close for one reason or another.  With some hard learned knowledge, and much luck I managed to put my second bird one the ground Wednesday.   I'm proud of him, and the story is one I'd like to share so here it is....

I was visiting with family a couple weeks ago when my godchild (Drew) approached me with a question to take him hunting on his Easter break.  Drew is 10yrs old, but has never been hunting other than with his BB gun along a tree line.  After some persuasion I convince his mom to let him tag along on a public land turkey hunt.  We wake Tuesday morning(4/7/15), and make the 2hr drive north to our hunting area.  I had very little scouting time in, and had only two birds located.  Problem is that I located those birds two weeks ago and hadn't gotten a chance to hunt since.  The morning started slow.  There was a steady breeze blowing, it was foggy, and overcast.  I didn't hear a gobble all day.  We did end up in a familiar area and started finding impressive sign around 9:30am.  Drew and I make a sit in a bottom for about an hour, and I managed to call in a hen to within 20yds of us.  That made the hunt worth it alone for him just to see her!  He was excited!  We head back up the ridge, and find a dusting area where we spooked another hen up.  We make a sit there, and our hunt ends around 2:00pm. 

We return the next morning with high hopes, and pretty excited about the sign we had found along with better weather conditions.  Unfortunately we were running a little late, and realize there is a hunter already in the area.  It's public so it's to be expected, but we were fairly bummed because our options were limited thanks to my lack of preparation.  We head to plan B.  There's truck parked in that location as well.  We move along to another area which happens to be the same area I had harvested my first bird four years ago.  We walk for a half mile and come to an area that I like to listen in for gobbles.  Around 6:50am I hear a faint gobble.  I ask if he heard it and he says that he hadn't.  Drew had never heard a turkey gobble before so I was really wanting him to experience it.  We take off deeper in attempt to close distance and pinpoint his location.  We stop a few hundred yds down, and I make a crow call.......He fires off!!!....did u hear him, Drew?...I heard a wood pecker, he replies....that's no woodpecker buddy!!! Let's go!!!  After another 100yds or so I locate call again....he gobbles....we cut into a hardwood bottom, and in the excitement I may have been rushing along a bit too quickly for a ten yr old on his first hike through the ridges.  I hear Ugh, and then leaves rustling as my little buddy tumbles down the ridge for several yds then safely comes to a stop against my leg!!  You alright?  He smirks, I'm ok!  Good, Let's Go!!... We get to within about 200yds of the bird, and I dont dare try to get closer because of the noise we may bring.  We get setup with Drew in my lounger and me laying against his knees.  I make a couple soft yelps, and he answers immediately.  I can tell that he is off the roost by this time.  I wait 3min or so and I cluck a few times then yelp.  He double gobbles, and the woods seemed to shake!!  I tell Drew not to move a muscle because he is coming meet us right now!!!  It takes no time and I can see the white and blue of his head coming through.  Do you see him Drew?...yes sir...good...DONT MOVE!  He closes the distance in no time.  We see him strut once, and then he steps into a clear shooting lane  neck stretched looking so I let him have it....... BOOM!!!....We got him boy!!  We did it!!.  Drew lets out a loud WOOHOO!!  We had our bird tagged, pics taken,  and were headed back to our truck for 7:30!  What a hunt!

He appears to be a 2yo bird...18lbs, 10.5" beard, 1" spurs!  The bird got wet flipping around and into a small ditch.  I'm all about showing respect for the game, and trying to get as good of pics as I can.  In this case I wasn't able to, sorry.  I will be making a fan mount and giving it to Drew as a trophy for our efforts...Im sure I've got a turkey hunting partner for life now!!!  Now we've got to work on getting him one!!

Sorry for the long post, and just to let u guys all know I appreciate the knowledge you all share.  Hopefully I too will have useful information that can help someone else along soon.

zelmo1

:welcomeOG: Congrats on the bird, you have a new buddy for life . He will never forget this day. Great job. Al Baker

Spitten and drummen

Congrats. Way to go. A hunt you and him will remember the rest of your lives.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

alloutdoors

Thanks for the good read, congrats on the bird!

Snoodsniper

Congrats! Sounds like a great hunt. Welcome to OG. You'll have a hard time shaking that little guy off your heels now!

jblackburn

:welcomeOG:

Congrats!!  You may have just made another turkey hunter and that is AWESOME!  With inch spurs that may very well be a three year old gobbler.  Great bird no matter how old.

What part of LA are you in?  This is my first year down here, I'm southeast of Baton Rouge.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

101st501

great job and great bird, congratulations

Gooserbat

:TrainWreck1:great job ,and welcome aboard.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Birdwatcher

Thanks for the replies!!
....@jblackburn I'm in St. Landry parish around the opelousas area

beagler

Never Misses

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

wisconsinteacher

One of the best post of the season.  Congrats and great job getting that young man hooked.  May youl share a lot of memories together in the turkey woods.

tomstopper

Mazahoochi

Eric, my hat's off to ya.  You took the time out of your own season to feed an eager boy some high adventure!  Very nice.

mgm1955