turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tried out the Fed HW 7's for the first time

Started by Birdyblaster, April 11, 2015, 12:01:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birdyblaster

I got the opportunity to try Fed HW 7's on a bird on Tues morning and I was quite impressed.  Granted the shot was only 23 yards but I don't think I've ever seen a turkey hit so hard.  There was blood and feathers sprayed on the ground and stuck to trees 20 feet past the bird.  The bird didn't move at all after hitting the ground.  It looked like it got hit by a truck.  I'd like to see how they perform a little farther out but it sure is fun getting them that close!  (Rem 870 SPS 23" with Trulock HW 7 choke and 3.5" shells)

owlhoot

Impressive .  sounds like complete pass-through penetration.

34 yards was the furthest i shot and it was devastating.
Kinda nice not getting kicked into next week and still having that kind of performance.
Any shot get into the wing joints and bust the bone up?

Birdyblaster

I only found a few stray pellets cleaning the bird but nothing low enough to hit the wing bones. With the force it hit that bird I'm certain a body shot would have killed it but it would have been a mess.

Gooserbat

I've killed some birds with HW 7 and the stuff is BAD!
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

budtripp

I keep toying with the idea of trying heavyweights but they are kind of scarce in my neck of the woods.  That and I'd need a new choke. So many shells, so little time.

gatrkyhntr70

<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

Gamblinman

I dumped the traditional Nitro Ammo loads that I have used for years for the Federal Heavyweight #7 loads. I got tired of all the pixie shot dust in the Nitro's.

These Federal loads hit like Thor's hammer. 6 birds have fallen to it so far, and only one has even flopped. The other 5 went down hard and never moved. It's some bad medicine if you get the right choke.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Clif Owen

Just what is the right choke? I've heard to not use a ported tube. Is this a safety issue or just that it works better? The reason I ask is that I tried some before I heard this and they worked great through my Pure Gold tube. I can't imagine what it would be like if it got better.
By the way, I shot one about 40 yards off and it did bust a wing joint. That was with 7's.

Birdyblaster

The Trulock tube made specifically for HW 7 seems to be the most consistent performer for most people and I've had good luck with it.  There's nothing saying you can't use a ported tube, it just defeats what the wad was designed for.  The only one I know you're not supposed to shoot them through is Indian Creek.

Spitten and drummen

I shoot a m2 benelli 20 ga this year and I got a sumtoy 562-5. that choke puts up awesome numbers with the fed hvy 7s.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!