OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Beards  (Read 9189 times)

Offline WNCTracker

• Longbeard
Beards
« on: April 10, 2015, 11:15:56 AM »
Does anybody know how to straighten beard? I had one sitting in a jar of Borax and when it dried it ended up in the shape of an L somehow. Anybody ever had this problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline VanHelden Game Calls

• The Boss Gobbler
    • VanHelden Game Calls
Re: Beards
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 04:27:31 PM »
Just re-hydrate the hair with water.  Keep the base as dry as possible, then apply borax to base only to dry/cure.

Offline WNCTracker

• Longbeard
Beards
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 07:15:55 PM »

Just re-hydrate the hair with water.  Keep the base as dry as possible, then apply borax to base only to dry/cure.
Thanks!  Your spur tutorial was awesome by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline VanHelden Game Calls

• The Boss Gobbler
    • VanHelden Game Calls
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 12:16:50 PM »
Thanks

Offline BigBen81

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 08:09:13 PM »
I used my girlfriend's hair straightener thing.  I looks like a curling iron but has 2 flat sides that heat up.  Worked great.

I didn't tell her either.   :icon_thumright:

Offline WNCTracker

• Longbeard
Beards
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 08:25:28 PM »
That is hilarious

Offline Cut N Run

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 09:42:39 AM »
Right after cutting the beard off, tear a piece of aluminum foil off the roll that's longer than the beard. Fold a 2 inch cuff at the bottom, narrow side of the foil.  Then put some Borax in the cuff and lay your beard in the borax with the pointed end of the beard facing the non-cuffed end of the foil.  Roll the tinfoil up to keep the beard straight.  Make sure to keep the open end of the tinfoil pointed up so the borax won't spill. Depending on where you store it, the beard takes a few days to a couple of weeks to dry out.  On top of the refrigerator near the back is my favorite spot. Been doing it this way for 30 years with great success.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline WNCTracker

• Longbeard
Beards
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 09:55:36 AM »

Right after cutting the beard off, tear a piece of aluminum foil off the roll that's longer than the beard. Fold a 2 inch cuff at the bottom, narrow side of the foil.  Then put some Borax in the cuff and lay your beard in the borax with the pointed end of the beard facing the non-cuffed end of the foil.  Roll the tinfoil up to keep the beard straight.  Make sure to keep the open end of the tinfoil pointed up so the borax won't spill. Depending on where you store it, the beard takes a few days to a couple of weeks to dry out.  On top of the refrigerator near the back is my favorite spot. Been doing it this way for 30 years with great success.

Jim
That seems like a really smart way to do it. Thanks for the tip!

Offline albrubacker

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 02:37:32 PM »

Jim
Great tip! Thanks for sharing
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Offline Tony Hawkins

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2022, 05:57:04 PM »
I have always wrapped the beard in aluminum foil, except for that end you need dried. Then in the cup of Borax. putting the Borax in the pouch is a great idea.
To straighten I'd get it wet, then shape and dry (the hairdryer or straightener is a hilariously great idea).