OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

question on a mossberg youth gun

Started by bowmike, April 10, 2015, 08:49:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowmike

Going to look at a Mossberg youth gun tonight. So far It appears I am going to trade my 243 for this gun.  I believe it is a Mossberg 500 but maybe you all can verify for me by the following pictures:

The few questions I have are, can anyone verify if this it a 500 youth model? I believe it is an older model due to the ugly camo job that is on it but it is a factory set up.

Should this come drilled and tapped for a scope rail?

Will a standard Mossberg 500 stock, or aftermarket stock fit on this. I am thinking about putting a 6 position stock on here if I get it.

If I wanted to get Mossberg sights, or a fiberoptic site, will the standard 500 setups work.

I belive I will be putting a red dot of some kind on this for this year then upgrade to something better.

What chokes do you guys typically run out of you mossbergs, and what shells?

I am thinking of going with a truglo gobble stopper since it works so well out of my 870 but am open to listen to your suggestions.

I think I want to roll with federal heviweight, or Hevi shot with this, #7?

And lastly if you were setting up a gun mainly for a youth hunter would you want to keep the choke open a bit, and not as constricted?

Would you go to a 2 3/4" shell instead as to not have the gun kick as hard for a youth hunter?

Thanks in advance. The gun apprears to have a few dings in it but that is not an issue with me as this will most likely get beat up even worse as it gets some time in the field.

jordanz7935

Yes thats a youth model, best i can tell by how short the stock and barrel are and the forearm position on the mag tube(youth model mossys have the forend closer to the receiver). Mosberg 500 20 ga stocks will fit no problem but with that forearm you might not be able to put an aftermarket forearm on without putting full length slide rails.Sights are same as any 500.Couldnt tell ya whether its D&T'd or not as mossberg started D&T all 500's after 97 or 98 i beleive. And im not sure if thats a factory paint or not.It looks like its got a wood stock and forend and ive never seen a mossberg with the "factory" woodland camo be anything other than synthetic.For shells I prefer Fed HW7s,but hevi 7s are good too.Choke for youth hunter would be factory full.Sumtoy,trulock,pure gold, indian creek,tightwad are good chokes.Personally i would get a brand new 20 ga 500.Warranty+definately D&T'd and can be had under$300.

dutch@fx4

check out a new youth model first I am sure you will get a great deal on a new one I just got one with two barrels and a full set of chokes in Canada for under 400$ ,rifled slug barrel as well as a 22 inch with all the chokes ,the new one comes drilled and tapped for scopes ,I realy like mine and have shot both deer and turkeys with it last fall ,I just got it all ready for this springs turkey season ,,what kind of 243 you want to trade ,,Dutch