OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I think TN turkeys forgot how to Gobble

Started by ThunderChickenGetter, April 08, 2015, 07:26:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThunderChickenGetter

Birds were fired up good here the weekend before season but I've been out every day since last Thursday and haven't heard the first bird. I know they're here they just seem to be playing hard to get.

Honolua

Here too. I think that this is that middle of breeding season lull. The gobblers have so many receptive hens around that they really don't need to gobble or vocalize to find them.

I think that as these hens get bred they will be way less tolerant of the Toms and run them off faster.

As there will be less and less receptive hens the Toms will have to work harder and vocalize more. This next week should show an increase in volume and frequency...I think lol.

cnette01

I heard plenty of gobbling opening day and Monday.  I hunt in middle TN on public land.

Tennessee Lead

I've been fortunate that I'm hearing several. Others I've talked to Ar's saying their being very tight lipped.

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker

bmmorris

Hunted two different locations (about 40 miles apart) on opening weekend. On one of them, the birds wouldn't shut up and on the other I didn't hear a peep.

RutnNStrutn

A lot of guys have been experiencing the same thing down here in Dixie. I had good gobbling opening weekend in FLA, then it shut down. All season long up in SC the gobbling has not been good. Hunted 11 days in SC so far, but only 2 of those were good gobbling mornings. It's been very frustrating for me so far. 14 days of hunting, and no bird yet, with very few gobbles. :(
Hope things improve for y'all. At least it is early in your season. :anim_25:

Trax

There were a bunch of birds killed Sat-Monday in my group of friends, but it has sure slowed since. Couldn't buy a gobble yesterday.

ThunderChickenGetter

I only know of one bird that was killed on opening weekend around here. They just haven't been talking at all. I hunt in East Tennessee

Trax

Between 7 of us we killed 5 birds over in Warren County the first 3 days. Keep after em.

taylorjones20

I heard them Gobble good Saturday morning and we were fortunate to get one.  Went Monday morn, Tuesday Morn, and didn't hear a single gobble on the roost.  Heard one Tuesday morn at 9:30 - They gobbled a little on the roost this morning and off and on until we left at 11:00...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

MouthCaller

Had one gobble decent on roost opening morning up until about 930 then nothing the rest of the day. The one I killed this morning wasn't hot they're still in early stages of the cycle the Tom's are still grouped up. Talked to a guy I used to work with he said he's seen and heard 2 different groups of 4 gobblers.

darn2ten

Basically nothing here either. I heard 1 bird yesterday gobble 1 time on the opposite ridge I was on about 11 o'clock and about as far away as I could barely hear him. He was off the property and no real way to cut the distance. This has been the worst opening week around me in memory. I haven't even heard any hen chatter and only laid eyes on a solitary hen a couple hundred yards from me in a pasture. It's got to get better.

surehuntsalot

I thought it was just a Mississippi thing(quite birds)
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Fatbeard

I have heard gobbles every day. Today was slow but I did hear some. Killed 3 TN birds so far as well
East TN Beard Buster

Tom Foolery

Some roost gobbling the past few days and then basically no ground gobbling after flydown.  Total lockjaw where I was in Scott Co today.