turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Why are guns so inconsistent?

Started by Fieldturkey, April 07, 2015, 07:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fieldturkey

Between my dad and I we have 3 870s that we tinker with and none of them shoot the same. All are the exact same gauge and barrel length. We shoot different load/choke combos in all three. What is the reason behind the inconsistency between like model guns?

USMC0331

It's like rifles. If you buy the same brand, caliber,barrel length, contour, and ammo, 9 times out of 10 they won't even be close to to hitting in the same spot. There could be small tolerances (thousands) in the barrel and action and how the "lock up" when assembled. You have to find out what each one likes to shoot not what others are  shooting.

outdoors

THERES ALWAYS SOME INCONSISTENCIES
THERES NO TWO THAT ARE THE SAME
Just my 2 cence
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Shaky Jake

Nature of the beast. We shot 3 870's with the same barrel, choke and loads. One shot high, one shot to the right and the other shot dead on.

Dr Juice

Quote from: USMC0331 on April 07, 2015, 08:01:29 PM
It's like rifles. If you buy the same brand, caliber,barrel length, contour, and ammo, 9 times out of 10 they won't even be close to to hitting in the same spot. There could be small tolerances (thousands) in the barrel and action and how the "lock up" when assembled. You have to find out what each one likes to shoot not what others are  shooting.
:agreed:

Longshanks

Something I have noticed is there is a big difference in the quality of the new Remington 870 barrels and the new ones. The old Wingmaster barrels are smooth as glass and easy to turn good patterns with multiple shells. My new 870sm barrels require polishing and they are extremely finicky when it comes to chokes/shells. When the difference in the smoothness of the barrel can easily be seen with the naked eye that's a little frustrating. Even after polishing these barrels aren't as smooth as the old ones.

Dtrkyman

The barrel on a shotgun is not fixed, and many particularly pumps do not lock into place very well!  I know of some guys that have pinned there slug barrels in place on there deer guns!

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Fieldturkey on April 07, 2015, 07:46:16 PM
Between my dad and I we have 3 870s that we tinker with and none of them shoot the same. All are the exact same gauge and barrel length. We shoot different load/choke combos in all three. What is the reason behind the inconsistency between like model guns?

Recently, I've seen more consistent patterns in shotshells, fired through the same gun/choke than I have in years past. In some of my recent evaluations there has been hardly any difference in the numbers and quality of patterns that some, not all but some of the shots that I've fired at big paper. There are of course many factors that could affect this but it's been quite interesting to see.

Stability of barrels, as has been mentioned, can make a real difference, especially in the 870s that you are shooting. The magazine cap it the only thing that holds that barrel in the receiver. If it moves, it can cause a pattern to looks scattered.

I recommend hand tightening the cap, then 2-3 more clicks with some padded pliers. Make a witness mark (red nail polish works well) on the cap and barrel band, so if you remove the barrel, you can get it back where it was.

When I install a choke tube, I tighten it, then back it out a couple of turns and tighten again. I always do this when installing a choke. I seem to get more consistent pattens by doing that as well.

That can help a good bit.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Longshanks

Quote from: allaboutshooting on April 11, 2015, 03:09:13 PM
Quote from: Fieldturkey on April 07, 2015, 07:46:16 PM

Recently, I've seen more consistent patterns in shotshells, fired through the same gun/choke than I have in years past. In some of my recent evaluations there has been hardly any difference in the numbers and quality of patterns that some, not all but some of the shots that I've fired at big paper. There are of course many factors that could affect this but it's been quite interesting to see.

Stability of barrels, as has been mentioned, can make a real difference, especially in the 870s that you are shooting. The magazine cap it the only thing that holds that barrel in the receiver. If it moves, it can cause a pattern to looks scattered.

I recommend hand tightening the cap, then 2-3 more clicks with some padded pliers. Make a witness mark (red nail polish works well) on the cap and barrel band, so if you remove the barrel, you can get it back where it was.

When I install a choke tube, I tighten it, then back it out a couple of turns and tighten again. I always do this when installing a choke. I seem to get more consistent pattens by doing that as well.

That can help a good bit.

Thanks,
Clark

Good tips there. Thanks